Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Budget boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Budget boost

When you do a budget boost what all do I need. I already read some threads on it but I want to know what year f150 springs you are supposed to use and what else I need to do? Im sure it's simple but it seems so confusing. Maybe a check list of what to buy would be a huge help. I also know that the f150 springs are a harder right but I might do some plowing with the jeep so that will work out fine
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Boost is done to the engine. Your talking about a lift.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Yea he means lift. There is a thread that's a sticky on here somewhere. You'll need shocks. Need to make a bastard pack from s10 leafs. And depending how high you go and what year you have possibly need SYE and extended brake lines. Honestly a budget build is good for a trail vehicle but for a DD, a good kit is the way to go. Yes can be pricey but safe an have alot what you need right there
Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by alnielsen
Boost is done to the engine. Your talking about a lift.
Lots of folks refer to a small lift as a budget boost.

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Yea he means lift. There is a thread that's a sticky on here somewhere. You'll need shocks. Need to make a bastard pack from s10 leafs. And depending how high you go and what year you have possibly need SYE and extended brake lines. Honestly a budget build is good for a trail vehicle but for a DD, a good kit is the way to go. Yes can be pricey but safe an have alot what you need right there
Some folks use F150 coils up front as well. Problem is they are meant for a F150, not an XJ so they are stupid stiff. If I remember correctly they yeild something like 5" of lift for the front.

But "budget boost" doesn't have to mean a JY bastard pack, which also rides pretty stiff in the rear. Budget boost means a lift on the cheap.

For example you can get longer rear shakles to give the rear 2-3" of lift for $35 or so. A pair of puck style coil spacers can be had for as little as $25. Thats a good lift for under $100 depending on how the oem springs are. Sometimes, since these are getting as old as they are, just putting new oem replacement springs yield lift as aged springs.

Or just watch the for sale section here for good deals. Just as effective.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Lots of folks refer to a small lift as a budget boost.

Some folks use F150 coils up front as well. Problem is they are meant for a F150, not an XJ so they are stupid stiff. If I remember correctly they yeild something like 5" of lift for the front.

But "budget boost" doesn't have to mean a JY bastard pack, which also rides pretty stiff in the rear. Budget boost means a lift on the cheap.

For example you can get longer rear shakles to give the rear 2-3" of lift for $35 or so. A pair of puck style coil spacers can be had for as little as $25. Thats a good lift for under $100 depending on how the oem springs are. Sometimes, since these are getting as old as they are, just putting new oem replacement springs yield lift as aged springs.

Or just watch the for sale section here for good deals. Just as effective.
That's what I was looking for. As or the f150 coils I'm interested because I would have a plow on the jeep during the winter so the weight of the plow might even it out. Who knows though. Probably just use pucks and the shackle like you talked about. I've been looking at the for sale posts a lot.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

It might just be me, and I'm sure it's been done before, but I would not advise plowing with xj, I would imagine that's a lot of stress on the unibody
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

And word of advice, pucks and shackles on stock or very used stock style suspension is a horrible ride. Trust me on this one. New coils is the way to go with a new set of leafs. But it's true, you can build up an xj many different ways and you'll get 13 and 1/4 opinions on here each claiming theirs is the best way
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ohio95xj
It might just be me, and I'm sure it's been done before, but I would not advise plowing with xj, I would imagine that's a lot of stress on the unibody
Really? I see a lot of them around here that dont seem to have much problem. What could happen too it if I was plowing? And as for the lift, yeah I honestly just want the cheapest, best lift for the money. I could spend a couple hundred dollars if needed. What do you suggest? I want 3 inches of lift. A smooth ride really doesn't matter. Just a trail/ hunting rig. I'm sure I'll drive it once and a while but who doesn't?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

What ever you choose, make sure it's made to last more than a year. I did the budget pucks and shackles and for a little more coils have done coils and leafs. Zone has a good setup. Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
And word of advice, pucks and shackles on stock or very used stock style suspension is a horrible ride. Trust me on this one. New coils is the way to go with a new set of leafs. But it's true, you can build up an xj many different ways and you'll get 13 and 1/4 opinions on here each claiming theirs is the best way
A few months ago I put puck spacers all the way around on my wife's 98 TJ. Just as old as a XJ. The ride did change, but thats not because of the age of the suspension, more because of physics and the design in general. And honestly it wasn't too bad of a change. I'd rather a slightly stiffer ride on a lifted truck to help combat body roll.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

A few months ago I put puck spacers all the way around on my wife's 98 TJ. Just as old as a XJ. The ride did change, but thats not because of the age of the suspension, more because of physics and the design in general. And honestly it wasn't too bad of a change. I'd rather a slightly stiffer ride on a lifted truck to help combat body roll.
When I did pucks and shackles the flex and ride sucked. Also did 2" shocks as well since mine were toast. I never did a jy build but between my budget setup and te current one, I'm happy with it. Plus, my leafs don't sag no more, I don't bottom out and have a sturdy ride and when I sometimes ride swayless, usually after local flexing, see drives normally and doesn't have to much body roll. I feel pucks and shackles should be used on brand new stock style suspension and aftermarket suspension. Used on worn suspension changes their spring rate too much
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

How was the shakle angle when you used just the OEM springs and shakles?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

How was the shakle angle when you used just the OEM springs and shakles?
Oroginally the shackle angle sucked, was 90* of course. A shorter extended shackle would probably be better. Used a shackle relocator bracket and tht helped the angle and the ride some but killed my leafs. We're frowning bad and would bottom out. Wish I had my pics on my iPod still from my budget boost. Everyone can set their jeep up their way. I just try to tell my experience with stock suspension with pucks and shackles. They worked to an extent
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

You could do some ZJ v8 coils in the front and dakota shackles theyll yeild you about an inch an it will be pretty cheep scrounging the JY