Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken brake line

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Broken brake line

So after spending the better part of the day putting in my new ignition pack (new screamin' demon coil, performance distributor and rotor and cap, live wires, and spark plugs gapped to .065) and replacing my thermostat and water housing along with gasket to solve a heating issue, we took the car for a test drive to test out our new equipment. After going for a short ride, i backed in to my garage and we were going to test something else, put it in to 4wH, and then stepped on the brake and then woooosh! apparently i had broken a brake line and had the puddle of fluid all over my floor to prove it. My qestion is, where is the best place to find brake lines at and what type should i get? The brake line that i am looking for is the one that travels the frame to the rear not the one on the axel. The car itself is a '96 xj classis with 152xxx miles on it. Thanks in advance
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

Pretty much, brake line is brake line. If you live in a corrosion prone area like the Northeast, I'd use the coated lines sold at places like Auto Zone. They are corrosion resistant and last longer. You don't spend a lot more for these, but they are worth the extra cost.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM

Year: 1993

Just had the same thing happen to my 93 the steel line running to the back blew out. so what i've been told is that no pre fabed ones are made anymore? go to auto Zone? Jeep dealer says lines is no longer made and shows to use generic kit. is that my only option? tried to get a oil pressure sending unit. guy laughed said back ordered with no due date. and said since bankrupcy older vehicle parts are harder to get.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear brake line did that a couple of years back. I had just started the engine and had my foot on the brake to put it into gear when it let go.

While doing some work under the hood recently, I noticed the power steering hoses looked rusted really badly where they go into the steering box. I replaced 'em last week.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Last brake lines I did was on my ol s-10 I recently sold..
The coil of brake line at the parts store isn't that expensive.
When I installed it, I didn't use the factory route, cause it was in a bad location prone to corrosion, I re-routed the line so it was more protected from the elements. I think I did all of the line for under $50... It was pretty easy. Just don't kink the line. You get a kink in it, cut it, or throw it away. I don't know why, but what I was told, and probably for good reason.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

When i bought my jeep my brake lines starting from the front to the back was pretty beat and one day i was during in town and pedal when straight to the floor and brake light came on...sure enough a hole had developed. i went to my local NAPA store i had to purchase two brake lines and a cuff link to link the two together so it was long enough...

Chances are if your line is rust like mine, the issues i ran into was taking the line off. at the rear axle where the line meets the "rubber hose" and then that is connected to the axle and branches off to the rear tires (im not sure what it is called) my line was rusted and seized at the connection. so i went to auto zone and purchased a new one for 15 bucks or so. everything including brake fluid cost me about 30 bucks.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Thank you all for replying. i guess i will buy a coil and fittings. noticed that some places sell 1/4 and 3/8 though i thought a jeep is 3/16. Anyone know for sure the size fitting and line tubing? you would think the service manual tells ya but, i dont see it speced out.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Year: 1999

Since you will be cutting and forming to fit. if you do not have one plan on getting a flaring tool. Preferably a double flair tool to get a good long lasting seal.

Get some type of tubing bender to keep from kinking the line during the bends as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Yes good idea about the bender. I was going to borrow one from a friend. guess when I go to auto barn or NAPA they should be able to tell me what kind of fittings I will need. guess I should replace the flex line going to the rear as well.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

this JUST happened to me on the way home Honestly guys, is it hard to do yourself? I can imagine a shop would charge 200-250 for this job