Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Broken!!!

Ok so I bought a smittybilt front bumper for my girls 2000 jeep XJ. I need to install the brackets, passenger side is done. But the driver side, I need to remove the 3 bolts that are holding the gearbox in place. My attempt on the first one, dam thing broke. From the looks, the rest of the thread stayed in the gear box. So now there's only 2 holding the gear box in place. Really don't wna brake them, any tips on to how I can remove them without breaking them?

The only idea I have is to heat up the bolts with my torch.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Penetrating Fluid is your friend.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
Penetrating Fluid is your friend.

That off and on for several days tighten then loosen a little each day, if that doesn't work then the heat wrench.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Yea I did spray on fluid a day before. And right before I tried removing the first one. Quick question, and I didn't check. Not home to check at the moment. But do the bolts go INTO the gearbox or THROUGH it to the point where you can see the other end of the bolt?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Same thing happened to me when I put on my Nates bumper. I actually had to pull the other bolts holding on the box then with it hanging out the bottom of the Jeep vice gripped and PB blasted it till out. The research I did said don't heat up the box due to melting seals and screwing the box up... not sure if it's true, I decided to be safe ad NOT use heat... if I did, I'd probably go to Meijer and get some dry ice... barely heat it with some propane. Then hold the ice with pliers and hold it on the bolt only. To try to shock it shrinking fast. Just my thoughts although having the box break free while driving would suck fast.

For the record... and advice for any other bumper installers. .. I took my Metabo and cut a small channel around the bolt you're talking about from the steering box. When I took the bumper off my old 98 and put it on my new one it avoided the issues. I think it barely weakens the integrity of it only having 2 monster bolts on the driver side. They should design them like that in the first place.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Finojeep
Yea I did spray on fluid a day before. And right before I tried removing the first one. Quick question, and I didn't check. Not home to check at the moment. But do the bolts go INTO the gearbox or THROUGH it to the point where you can see the other end of the bolt?
if I remember correctly all the way through so you could drill out the bolt and clean the threads or tap one size higher maybe.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
Same thing happened to me when I put on my Nates bumper. I actually had to pull the other bolts holding on the box then with it hanging out the bottom of the Jeep vice gripped and PB blasted it till out. The research I did said don't heat up the box due to melting seals and screwing the box up... not sure if it's true, I decided to be safe ad NOT use heat... if I did, I'd probably go to Meijer and get some dry ice... barely heat it with some propane. Then hold the ice with pliers and hold it on the bolt only. To try to shock it shrinking fast. Just my thoughts although having the box break free while driving would suck fast. For the record... and advice for any other bumper installers. .. I took my Metabo and cut a small channel around the bolt you're talking about from the steering box. When I took the bumper off my old 98 and put it on my new one it avoided the issues. I think it barely weakens the integrity of it only having 2 monster bolts on the driver side. They should design them like that in the first place. Good luck. Keep us posted.
they design it that way to also act as a steering box brace as that part of the Cherokee frame commonly cracks and fails with heavier tires and such.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Well... if the design causes more damage to the box and bolts (by having to be retapped or replaced with different ones) then it defeats the purpose. Most guys aren't CRAZY into offroading to the point they're worried about the box breaking free. On my 98 I put the bumper mostly to pull people out of snow and to bump deer without killing my baby.
Maybe they should make 2 versions... one for the REAL jeepers, and one for us jeeper-lights.
Smile.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
Well... if the design causes more damage to the box and bolts (by having to be retapped or replaced with different ones) then it defeats the purpose. Most guys aren't CRAZY into offroading to the point they're worried about the box breaking free. On my 98 I put the bumper mostly to pull people out of snow and to bump deer without killing my baby. Maybe they should make 2 versions... one for the REAL jeepers, and one for us jeeper-lights. Smile.
I got my bolts out no problem. It's not the bumper company's fault your jeep had corrosion. The frame cracks on many cherokees with big tires especially as they get older and rustier. I would much rather have the brace there just in case then have my frame crack personally.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Thx.