Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

broke brake linkage clip need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default broke brake linkage clip need help

Hey guys i have a 99 jeep grand cherokee limited and the brake booster started hissing on my a while back so since the car gets drove like once a week i finally went ahead and put a new on one today and when i went to take the brake pedal linkage clip off or retainer clip whatever you want to call it, it broke. I was still able to put it back on, but it could easily fall off i would think. In other words i want a new one, i have scrolled all over the net to try and find a oem part store or somethign i went to every auto parts store in town as well maybe you guys could send me in the right direction or give me a part number. Thanks guys
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Does it look like this?

Dealer, bone yard, maybe those red "HELP" packs, etc....

You posted this in the XJ section btw.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM

oh okay i am sorry this is my first post i will find the right section, Yes that is it man i broke a part of it i went to every part store and they all walked with me to the help section and there was not one at any of them. would the dealer still carry them
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This.
Originally Posted by Driver X
I installed the IRO brake lines that I picked up from another member. The fronts were a pain due to the rusted parts. Rear went on really easy. Only thing that held me back was the horseshoe spring clip on the rear brake line at the chassis mount. I didn't know the proper term for this part, but when I did the lift I had to remove this piece to lower the axle and give me slack in the brake line.

This piece was bent during removal so I tossed it, figuring I would be able to find another one later. Well, I went to a few different auto stores with no luck. I know they sold this in the "HELP!" aisle before as a pair. Nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. So I went to Napa and looked through their brake catalog page by page until I found it.

This is referred to as a "hose lock". And Napa has them in bulk, but you can buy individually as needed. Cost was $1.06 after tax for 2 of them.
I spent 3 hours yesterday looking for this damn piece! I didn't want to drive the Jeep anywhere until I had the rear brake line secured.

Once I installed that piece, I took it for the very first road test of 5 miles. And driveline vibrations are quite apparent. I don't have a TC drop or axle shims yet. New crossmember is arriving tomorrow (mine is rusting through), and I will determine the correct axle shim once I get my angle finder back this afternoon.

Can't wait to get this thing on the road! Hopefully next week it will be driven daily once again.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

I think that's for a hose I'm looking for the one for the pedal