Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake work

Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Brake work

Alright. Fixing to check out the brake system today on the 96xj today. Brakes are a little squishy for my liking.

Need some advice. Do I start with the front brakes since they provide most the stopping power?

How can I tell if the pistons are sticking in the front brake calipers? If they are sticking, would this cause the brakes/pedal to be squishy? I don't know if that is happening but I am just asking because I notices mud up in the brake area and wondered if it jammed up the pistons.

What about bleeding the brakes? If the pads look good, do I go ahead and perform this step next?

On the rear brake shoes, does anyone know how thick new shoes are so I can compare the thickness on mine? Not sure how to tell if they are worn to the point of replacing.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

For the front brakes, check the pads for uneven wear. That's the best clue to whether the calipers are sticking or sliders are binding. Also check for unusual wear patterns in the rotor, heat spots, or "lips" on the edges. And inspect the brake lines, if the are worn enough the line will buldge under braking causing a soft pedal.

For the rear, check for any signs of leaking. Which means even pulling back the dust boot on the wheel cylinder. Check for any broken or missing hardware. And the shoes to be atleast 3/16 thick and free of any stress cracks. Check for any rough wearing or lips on the drum. And ensure that the adjustment is enough that there is a small amount of drag when turning the drum by hand.

If your fluid hasn't been changed in at least a year, then flush out with new fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. This will extend the life of a hydraulic brake parts. And depending on how much sludge is in the system can even stiffen pedal feel

Last, if all else checks out, then the master cylinder could be internally bypassing, which will cause a soft pedal

Last edited by N20jeep; 04-16-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
For the front brakes, check the pads for uneven wear. That's the best clue to whether the calipers are sticking or sliders are binding. Also check for unusual wear patterns in the rotor, heat spots, or "lips" on the edges. And inspect the brake lines, if the are worn enough the line will buldge under braking causing a soft pedal.

For the rear, check for any signs of leaking. Which means even pulling back the dust boot on the wheel cylinder. Check for any broken or missing hardware. And the shoes to be atleast 3/16 thick and free of any stress cracks. Check for any rough wearing or lips on the drum. And ensure that the adjustment is enough that there is a small amount of drag when turning the drum by hand.

If your fluid hasn't been changed in at least a year, then flush out with new fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. This will extend the life of a hydraulic brake parts. And depending on how much sludge is in the system can even stiffen pedal feel

Last, if all else checks out, then the master cylinder could be internally bypassing, which will cause a soft pedal
Great. Very informative. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

If the calipers/pistons are sticking, is there a way to clean them where they will move freely again? Or will I wind up having to replace the whole caliper?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

pm'd
Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

pm'd
Tried to send you a PM back but says your mailbox is full. You must be popular!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L

pm'd
can you send me the same PM? I have my right front brake sticking only sometimes. I did my brakes for the front about a month ago and it just started last Saturday.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

front brake stick for two reason brake line bad or pistion sticking in caliper ,when ever you replace some thing one one side you should replace it on the other side also ,sorta like buying shoes you never buy one shoe
Old 04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
front brake stick for two reason brake line bad or pistion sticking in caliper ,when ever you replace some thing one one side you should replace it on the other side also ,sorta like buying shoes you never buy one shoe
Correct, but also don't forget about the caliper sliders. They can seize up and cause the same symptoms