Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brake caliper and trackbar bolt size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default brake caliper and trackbar bolt size?

*Can anyone please advise the correct size & thread of the trackbar/panhard rod bolt..it has a 15mm head, and is about 3" long?
(I figure fitting a new one)

* assembling the brake calipers onto my 2 x '96, following a suspension swap, I notice the following;
white one has 1/2" bolt heads both sides....black one has a 13mm LH, and 14mm RH, both with a few washers

I did the black one first, so didnt think too much off it, but there are only 2 explanations I can think of;

1) its normal to have 2 different bolt sizes...2) the steering knuckle holes have been tapped and threaded to larger sizes
Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

For the caliper bolts, there are several variations floating around. I've seen at least 3 different varieties in 3 years of owning my Jeep. The factory bolts had unusually small 12pt heads on them. Some of the aftermarket providers follow a similar design. Others have gone to larger more common size heads like 13mm or 1/2 inch. The length, shoulder, thread pitch, and diameter usually doesn't change though. It is also rare that the bolt has been upsized with retapping of the knuckle, due to the fact that the bolt is also the slide pin for the caliper, and the caliper slides and boots are of a particular diameter and not likely to be tapped larger (though I'm sure its been done before, lol).
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
For the caliper bolts, there are several variations floating around. It is also rare that the bolt has been upsized with retapping of the knuckle, due to the fact that the bolt is also the slide pin for the caliper, and the caliper slides and boots are of a particular diameter and not likely to be tapped larger (though I'm sure its been done before, lol).
mystery.. I will be fitting new longer hoses and pads soon, but even by looking I almost certainly, wont be able to tell.
Its strange a 13mm & 14mm, unless one was so wallowed out it needed a bigger hole, (and they drilled the caliper slide hole bigger to fit)
My CCKW had LH and RH thread wheel studs for opposite sides, I found out the hard way
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I would take out the 13 and 14 and compare them and then you'll know right away if there was any questionable activity in that area. It's certainly possible that it's just the head size that's different and the threads are correct.