Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake booster/master cylinder vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake booster/master cylinder vacuum leak

I've been having vacuum leak problem, i blocked off the EGR system, seemed to have brought my idle down some but not all the way. I was talking to the guy over at AutoZone and he seemed to know what he was talking about and garunteed my Brake Power Booster was the source of my problems. The brakes work horribly and I have to stomp so hard on the pedal to get them to work and when you press the pedel with the engine off you hear a noise like air rushing. Any one else support this? I'm fixin to go ahead and order a new one. My other question is, do I need the new cylinder too? Is there a way to tell? My experience with brakes is limited. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

yep i had the same problem last week. if you can hear air coming from the booster its bad. the leak will through off the computer and cause bad idle problems. as far as the master for 12 bucks more at auto zone you get a
new one , might as well while you have it out!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Sweet, sounds like im on the right path. Do I need to check any lines or anything or would it be the pressurized cylinder chamber itself that has the leak?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

when you replace the boster it will fix the vac leak, if you do the master too remember you will have to bead all the break lines at the wheel cylinders RR to FL. you should check them as well. peal back the rubber seal and see if you see break fluid ,if so replace it 9 bucks auto zone again lol
Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Year: 1999

I had the same problem...Booster fixed it
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by mark's91-XJ
when you replace the booster it will fix the vac leak, if you do the master too remember you will have to bead all the break lines at the wheel cylinders RR to FL. you should check them as well. peal back the rubber seal and see if you see break fluid ,if so replace it 9 bucks auto zone again lol
You don't have to bleed the brakes at the wheels cylinders or calipers. If you are replacing the master cylinder you bench bleed the master first. When you install it as long as you don't open any bleeder screws the fluid in the lines will remain and all you have to do is re attach them to the new master. Air does not enter the lines when you remove them from the master unless the bleeder screws are opened first. BTW, a quick test of the booster leak problem , remove the check valve from the booster and plug the line. Start the engine and see if runs normally, idle and all. Re attach the booster check valve and restart the engine, after 30 seconds turn off the engine and pump the pedal 5 times , the brake pedal should get rock hard, after pumping the peddle 5 times while still holding the pedal down restart the engine, if the booster diaphragm is working correctly the pedal should drop to the floor a couple of inches. From what you described the booster sounds like the problem, and many companies offer the booster and master together as a kit.