Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bout to put 31's on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Arrow Bout to put 31's on...

How much power loss can I expect, or loss of mileage? It seems most of you guys got gears, did you guys install yourself or have someone do it? I can imagine it could be a pain in the ***. I am pretty sure I got 3.55 gears (96 4.0, tow package) this is going to be my DD what do you guys think?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

driving on flat surfaces isnt bad. theres still plenty of power. its when i go to the mountains that i wish i had gears. up the hills, its not so great.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Agreed. /\ /\

When I had my 3" lift and 31's there was definitely a noticeable drop in MPG and overall power, ESPECIALLY on hills. I would recommend running an auxiliary tranny cooler like the B&M if you're going to stay at 3.55's or your tranny will hate you. When I went to 4:10's the difference was awesome. Power was back, MPG returned to pretty much stock. The 4:10's and 31's combo is a great combo.

If you live in a mountainous area like I do, you will want to regear.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Question

Is installing new gears hard or should I just leave it to the pro's, I know basic stuff, what would it run me to have a shop install them?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xjbaldy
Is installing new gears hard or should I just leave it to the pro's, I know basic stuff, what would it run me to have a shop install them?
Depends on your level of experience, available tools (some very specific tools needed for the job), and whether you want to take the time to do it.

My first re-gear I had a mechanic friend walk me through it and it took an entire Saturday. If you're going to tackle it on your own, you really should research a TON before you attempt it, or have someone who knows how to set up gears help you. Otherwise, pay a good shop to do it. You can expect to pay roughly $400-$600 per axle for parts and labor if you have a shop do it. Well, at least around here.

This link is hands-down the best write up on doing gears I've come across;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Default crap...I am already confused, ****!

Originally Posted by Brad M.
Depends on your level of experience, available tools (some very specific tools needed for the job), and whether you want to take the time to do it.

My first re-gear I had a mechanic friend walk me through it and it took an entire Saturday. If you're going to tackle it on your own, you really should research a TON before you attempt it, or have someone who knows how to set up gears help you. Otherwise, pay a good shop to do it. You can expect to pay roughly $400-$600 per axle for parts and labor if you have a shop do it. Well, at least around here.

This link is hands-down the best write up on doing gears I've come across;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run 31s and 3.55s with no problems but i live in new jersey = no mountains. fuel economy wasn't very noticeably different from stock 225/75s to 31s and at interstate speeds it's no problemo cruising 70mph. you doing any kind of lift or new rims with the new tires - you will rub your lower control arms with 31s and stock rim backspacing and flexing will rub body parts, just so you know. plan on a few more upgrades to really do it right...
Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i thought tow package cherokee came with 3.73s in the diffs?

if you want to know, lift up the back and put it in neutral. then just mark a chalk line on one wheel and hte driveshaft and rotate the shaft. count how many turns you get for one rotation. if it ends on half then you know yo ugot 3.55. if it ends on 3/4 then you know you got 3.73.

i wish i had 3.73. you want a sleeper cherokee, put 3.73 in with stock tires. light to light you will embarrass alot of people
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

I also run 31's on stock axles 3.55 ratio works good, no noticible power or mpg loss
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah I am putting on a RE 3.5 inch superride kit, and an SYE but the costs are adding up...but I am not near the truck right now (iraq) so I am havin my dad take it to the shops for me. I live in WA state and there is a lot of hills, and I like road trips. So i am just tryin to make the truck as DDrivable and reliable as possable

Originally Posted by muddpigg
i run 31s and 3.55s with no problems but i live in new jersey = no mountains. fuel economy wasn't very noticeably different from stock 225/75s to 31s and at interstate speeds it's no problemo cruising 70mph. you doing any kind of lift or new rims with the new tires - you will rub your lower control arms with 31s and stock rim backspacing and flexing will rub body parts, just so you know. plan on a few more upgrades to really do it right...
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Did all cherokees with the tow package come with 3.73s?

Originally Posted by superj
i thought tow package cherokee came with 3.73s in the diffs?

if you want to know, lift up the back and put it in neutral. then just mark a chalk line on one wheel and hte driveshaft and rotate the shaft. count how many turns you get for one rotation. if it ends on half then you know yo ugot 3.55. if it ends on 3/4 then you know you got 3.73.

i wish i had 3.73. you want a sleeper cherokee, put 3.73 in with stock tires. light to light you will embarrass alot of people
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Year: 97

i still have plenty of power, but my gas milage dropped off A LOT,, went from 16 to lucky just over 11mpg,, i will be doing gears
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Yeah I am putting on a RE 3.5 inch superride kit, and an SYE but the costs are adding up...but I am not near the truck right now (iraq) so I am havin my dad take it to the shops for me. I live in WA state and there is a lot of hills, and I like road trips. So i am just tryin to make the truck as DDrivable and reliable as possable
If you are at fort lewis, Im about to do a three in lift and 31's. I will let you know how the drive is here with that set up. If you arent at fort lewis I dont know any of the other terrains round here.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Smile

Sounds good, I am not at lewis, I am stationed out of drum, but the jeep is in seattle...where I am going to live when I ETS. bout 4 more months YEAHA!!!!

Originally Posted by cob24
If you are at fort lewis, Im about to do a three in lift and 31's. I will let you know how the drive is here with that set up. If you arent at fort lewis I dont know any of the other terrains round here.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

Did all cherokees with the tow package come with 3.73s?

from what i have read, that is the story.

check your how i said though to verify. that is how we check on bmws if the diff has been replaced in the past. factory installed diffs have the ratio on the tag and dealer replaced do not.

Quick Reply: Bout to put 31's on...