Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bottoming out

Hello, I need some help with my Jeep. I didn't get too much time to search because I am way too busy and I need to make sure my Jeep will be fine for a long trip this week.

The front end bottoms out VERY easy. Going 30mph over slight dips in the road will make the front end bottom out. I've only had the jeep for a few months and really haven't driven it much. From my service records I am pretty sure it has newish monroe struts.

What could be causing this? Too long of bump stops? Crappy struts? I was going to take a closer look at the suspension tomorrow but I wanted opinions as soon as I could. I am taking it for a 2000 mile trip and wanted to see if I can fix this quick. What else could be causing this besides struts? Any obvious signs I can check?

I really appreciate the input, I hate posting things before I check it out myself but I need good input as I only have a few minutes to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by blefevre
Hello, I need some help with my Jeep. I didn't get too much time to search because I am way too busy and I need to make sure my Jeep will be fine for a long trip this week.

The front end bottoms out VERY easy. Going 30mph over slight dips in the road will make the front end bottom out. I've only had the jeep for a few months and really haven't driven it much. From my service records I am pretty sure it has newish monroe struts.

What could be causing this? Too long of bump stops? Crappy struts? I was going to take a closer look at the suspension tomorrow but I wanted opinions as soon as I could. I am taking it for a 2000 mile trip and wanted to see if I can fix this quick. What else could be causing this besides struts? Any obvious signs I can check?

I really appreciate the input, I hate posting things before I check it out myself but I need good input as I only have a few minutes to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
could be bad struts or coils or both.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix I6

Struts?
you never said what kind of jeep it was. xj's don't utilize a coilover stock.
But those old worn out springs and shocks can get really bouncy
Behold the difference between stock, and rustys HD 3":

Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Sorry it's a 2000 XJ Sport. Is there anything I can measure in the suspension to see if there is a lot of sagging?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Jump on your bumper once. If it stops bouncing on the first or 2nd bounce it's ok. If it keeps bouncing 3,4, or more times then you got problems with your shocks/coil springs.

Look inside the coil springs. There is a rubber bumstop hanging down from a tower. How much space is between the bumpstop and bottom plate at the bottom of the coil?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like you might have bad shocks to me..

Getting ready to fix the same issue on mine this weekend..
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
Sounds like you might have bad shocks to me..

Getting ready to fix the same issue on mine this weekend..
You got RC shocks? I dunno if mine will fit yours but i have some brand new bilstein shocks for sale in the for sale forum. extedded 28" compressed: 17.5". they are too long for my lift height. Might save ya some $$.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

I've only had the jeep for a few months and really haven't driven it much. From my service records I am pretty sure it has newish monroe struts.
Wonder if they put the wrong shocks on it. If they're relatively new and Monroe so a pretty good piece usually. Maybe they're too short?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by muddeprived
You got RC shocks? I dunno if mine will fit yours but i have some brand new bilstein shocks for sale in the for sale forum. extedded 28" compressed: 17.5". they are too long for my lift height. Might save ya some $$.
Wish I had known this.. mine got ordered on Friday..
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
Wish I had known this.. mine got ordered on Friday..
FAIL! jk

Whatcha order?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Well I decided to replace the shocks to see if thats the problem. I looked up the part number of the shocks that are on the Jeep and they are the lowest model of monroe, something like $20 each. I was able to get Rancho RS5000's locally and I will install them tonight. I really hope that they cheapo shocks are just blown and these rancho's are decent.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Expect a very stiff ride with those shocks. They are valved for a light truck, not jeeps so they will be rough. Just an FYI.....
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Well sure enough it was the cheapo shocks. The monroes had a different design to mount the bottom and had an adapter bracket on. When I compressed them side to side the monroes were at least 3 inches longer, pretty poor design.

As for the stiffness, all my other cars are BMW's, so it still feels very soft to me. I will be changing the rears out when I get back from my trip.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Well sure enough it was the cheapo shocks. The monroes had a different design to mount the bottom and had an adapter bracket on. When I compressed them side to side the monroes were at least 3 inches longer, pretty poor design.

As for the stiffness, all my other cars are BMW's, so it still feels very soft to me. I will be changing the rears out when I get back from my trip.
Oh so they were too long for your jeep? That makes sense. What kind of adapter bracket did it have on it?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 PM

The part number says its the correct shock for my Jeep. They must just use a standard shock for other cars and provide the adapter for a Jeep.

Quick Reply: Bottoming out