Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Blower Motor question

Just got a replacement blower motor/fan assembly for my 95 Sport. When I went to switch the old one out today, I found a difference between the two motors.
On the side of the old motor casing, there is a 3/4" hole, where a short piece of soft rubber hose comes in directly from the firewall, in from the fan housing. But, on the side of the new casing, there is a 1" hole for this hose to attach to. The main problem is, once mounted up to the firewall, the old 3/4" hole is located at the "7 o'clock" position. The new 1" hole is located at the "3 o'clock" position. So no way will the short rubber hose connect up with the new blower motor. It's a tight fit in a rather confined space anyway, and adding an extension hose looks like a PITA, it would probably crimp. And it looks to me like the short hose is attached at the firewall permanently.
I'm not even sure how crucial this hose is to the function of the fan motor. It's a sort of "self-cooling" function I presume? Can I just use do away w/ the old 3/4" hose, and use a new section of rubber hose left dangling down from the new fan motor casing, as a fresh air cooling source?
Sorry no pics, no camera on hand.... hopefully I described all of this to where it makes sense... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 1995REDXJSPORT; 09-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.

well why don't you just rotate the fan housing one hole to the right so the hile will be aligned with the hose from the firewall ? or is it spaced so it won't do that ? I have a 1991 XJ and the blower in it will rotate so I have to place it so the hose will line up. also you are correct, the hose is a way of getting clean air from the cab to help the fan motor cool...you can use it without a hose but you take a chance of some crap getting into the motor, or water or something like that....good luck