Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bad transmission solenoid replaced but still did nothing "I think"???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default bad transmission solenoid replaced but still did nothing "I think"???

my 91 Cherokee wouldnt shift out of 1st gear most the time, Solenoid tested bad so I replaced the OD torqu coverter lockup solenoid on my 91 Cherokee today...it tested bad from the TCU Harness, then I pulled the pan and tested it again in person, still tested bad so I replaced it...took her for a test drive but same thing "still stuck in 1st gear"...after a few laps around the block she started shifting fine through out all the gears?...but she did this somtimes before I changed the solenoid too so I cant figure it out...oh yeah and I tested the bad solenoid again an hour later and she tested fine between 11-15ohms???...the last 3 times I tested it warm and cold it read like 85 or some crazy number but now its testing 11-15ohms?...it was clearly bad when I tested it the first three times!!!...I tested the solenoids from the TCU after replacing them to make sure I didnt put the same bad one back in somehow and they all tested good!...I know the new solenoid is in there just double checked ya never know...im no trans expert but is it possible the old bad solenoid starved a part of the trans of fluid and new solenoid was pumping fluid to where it was supposed to be throughout the test drive and thats why it took a few laps to start working "the pressure just needed to build up or somthing I dunno what to think???"...TPS is good and shes not throwing any codes!?!?...fluid level is fine, whats going on here?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0HO

oh and after replacing the solenoid and test driving her only to see the same problem I tried another TCU I had laying around but it didnt change anything so rule that out too
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Default having the same problem how did you test solenoids?

I have a 91 cherokee that will not shift out of first. I tried testing my solenoids from my TCU and I got 0 ohms on all three solenoids I dont think all three are bad because sometimes it shifts fine after resetting my battery. How did you test your solenoids? was the key on? engine on? any help is appreciated
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 PM

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Did you check fuses?? Or grounds??
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM

I have checked all fuses including the TCU fuse I do not believe there are fuses designated for the shifting solenoids but I could be wrong. I have replaced and tested my TPS sensor, cleaned all grounds, testing my speed sensor, tested my NSS, and tried replacing the TCU. Today if it stops pissing rain outside I am going to try to test the solenoids a differant way that I found online.