Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blend door actuator woe's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Blend door actuator woe's.

2001 XJ 4.0 aw4 175K

long story short I had pulled the dash out to put a new heater core in EVERYTHING work's BUT! the blend door actuator -_-

i started with taking the old one part. everything seems fine, the motor will spin then stop. unpluging and pluging it back in will make it spin/stop agian. with this happening it leads me to bleave that AT! the blend door actuator conector itself------

1.) the power circuit is good.
2.) the ground circuit is good.
3.) the signal circuit is good.

so the actuator is bad right? well $60 later the new actuator is not working -______-

so now i have these questions.------

1.) did i miss something putting my dash back together? if so. what do you think i miss...

2.) is this new actuator bad out of the box?

3.) what are electrical specifications of this circuit?

a.) i have a 0.0V singnal ( with the **** on cold ) and 0.45V ( with the temp **** on hot )------ i feel like this is not right. should it be a 5V singal setup? ( aka 0.1-4.9V) ?

b.) what SHOULD i see with the ground? all of my grounds are good but i keep getting this werid mix.

4.) anything elst i should test in the circuit?\

5.) how do i test the control head? ( the hot/cold **** )

thank you for any help in a advance!

Last edited by aj6; 01-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

The circuit gets its power from fuse 25 in the JB. It's powered when the ignition switch is in the RUN position (12 VDC).

The ground for both the A/C Heater Control and the Blend Door Actuator is G107. It's located to the right of the glove box, on the dash support structure.

The Blend Door circuit is a bridge circuit (probably solid state). When the Temperature Select Control is positioned to a desired location the Blend Door Actuator will move in the required direction and stop at the preselected location when the 'bridge' is balanced. The blend door feedback signal from the Blend Door Actuator to the Temperature Select Control is the circuit used for this bridge.

The power circuit from fuse 25, and ground circuit(s) for the Blend Door Actuator, and the A/C Heater Control goes through connector C201, a large natural colored connector under the dash (that you probably disconnected to remove the HAVAC unit), and connector C209, located on the right side under the dash (color unknown). Perhaps you should check security of C201, and C209 (if you can find it).

If you removed the connector from the Blend Door Actuator motor to take your readings from the Temperature Select Control you opened the blend door feedback signal circuit (bridge) and wouldn't see the complete circuit activity. You would need to back probe the wires at the connector when it's attached. Dark Blue/White tracer wire is ground, Yellow wire is blend door feed back signal, and Orange wire is power. Test the circuit by back probing at the connector.

You should see 12 VDC (batt voltage) at the Orange wire pin with the ignition switch in RUN position/engine off.

The ground circuit from the Blend Door Actuator should be checked using an Ohmeter and with the battery negative cable disconnected. Read from Dark Blue/White wire pin to dash structure for continuity.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Thank you for the responing.

i retested everything conneced and still get the same readings.

12vdc at the back of the ****/ at C201 ( witch to tell you the truth i didnt even take that out when i pulled my dash )/// 12vdc at C209 / and the Blend Door Actuator motor itself..

same thing with the grounds there all good.

i even ohmed all 3 wires out and there all good.

i keep getting a werid singal reading.. 0.001 vdc (**** cold) - 0.045 vdc. (**** hot) i really feel like this is not right. but when i ohmed out that circuit it was fine..

theres not alot to this circuit setup i dont think i missed any conectors..

so heres what i'm wondering..

how do i test the temp **** its self? is there any test i can do to make sure it works right?

i'm gona get a new Blend Door Actuator motor.. maybe the one i have is bad?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

I'm trying to figure out what your problem is. Is it that the blend door actuator is not working at all, or is it that the blend door is not moving.

Please clarify.