Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blend door actuator problem. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Has this problem never been encountered in the history of Jeeps?

I have the blend door actuator sitting on the passenger floor still plugged in and I thought it was bad so I bought a new one and plugged it in while still sitting on passenger floor. The actuator turned clockwise all the way and then stopped, and I noticed the one I thought was bad did the same thing. Does anybody know why and actuator would just turn right and the temp **** won't make it move back?

I replaced the mini relay for the a/c heat control panel as well.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm at a loss!

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by ssheat; 09-01-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Anybody Please??? The Blend door actuator turned all the way clockwise when plugged in. All other A/C/Heater stuff works fine. The only problem is that I can manually crank the blend door to get cold, but otherwise it stays on hot which goes along with the actuator turning clockwise when plugged in. Clockwise would put the blend door on Heater. The actuator is currently sitting on the passenger floor plugged in. I can't install it until I know why it cranked all the clockwise when plugged in and it's non responsive other than that. it's brand new, and it's happened with two seperate actuators, so it's not a bad actuator.

2000 Cherokee Classic straight 6

Somebody has got to know... Please???

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 PM

I have tested the temp control unit, and it is working fine. The actuator just moved to the far clockwise position, and the temp **** won't make it move. Does something have to be reset?

Anybody?
Any Suggestions?
Is this the first time this has ever happened with a Jeep???

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Start by checking for a vacuum leak. That is what controls it.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Unhappy

There is no vacuum leak. When I disconnect the vacuum none of the controls of defrost, front air, or floor air controls work. Everything in my control panel for the ac/heater works except the actuator problem.

If it's a vacuum leak, I loose most all the controls. I tested unhooking the vacuum to see what would happen. I have however verified that the line is secure with vacuum. I've double checked it.

It seems like maybe there is some type of calibration. I have now unplugged the negative cable and am letting it sit unplugged for a half hour or so and see if that will recalibrate. I doubt it.

If that doesn't work it has to be a voltage/resistance issue since the temp control **** simply changes the resistance which makes the motor in the actuator turn forward or backward.

I'm at a loss now unless somebody has seen this specific problem before.

Thanks. I appreciate all input please.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 AM

Unhappy I guess we've found a first in Jeep History.

There used to be very helpful experienced people in this forum. Maybe they are on vacation. I can't say much for the amount of help I have received. the only person to respond said a very basic thing that if he had read my problem would have seen that his response did not apply to the issue at hand.

I do however thank him very much for answering, and trying to help.

Either there is nobody with enough experience about this specific issue which is fine, or the other option which would be unacceptable.

I don't mind a moderator reading this. Maybe they will have an answer to the question. I'm still getting emails from over a year ago about trivial 3 word story updates etc... Is this still a technical forum?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM

?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

How did you test the temperature control unit? I just checked the FSM and could not find anything except R&R, no need to calibrate anything just reinstall. The problem is either a poor connection/connector or the temperature switch itself in the dash is defective. Of course check the wiring first. I suspect if you can find a new temperature control switch it will be $$$$$$, probably best to yank one out of a junker.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Sounds like you may have already checked out the temp control to the actuator, but I was messing with my '99 XJ yesterday and thought it might help you.

I pulled the plug from the actuator and connect a meter to read voltage across pins 7/8. The voltage changed from 0V to 13V as I turned the temp control. Seems like one possibility with yours is that you are getting full unregulated voltage to the actuator, but just guessing a bit.

My actuator won't move at all at this point, so I need to rebuild or replace. Can let you know what happens if your problem is not with the temp control voltage input.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Kray931. That is great info! Yes I did test the temp control and even tried it with a whole new panel unit and it still didn't work. So... Your info is a great lead as that is exactly what I have been thinking is the problem as well. I'll do a voltage test and let you know what is happening on my end as well. I do think it's a voltage/resistance issue somewhere. Please let me know if you find anything else out, and I'll post back if I solve the issue.

Thanks you very very much for this info!

ssheat
Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 PM

OK, so I got my new actuator the other night and plugged it in. Sure enough it moved back and forth as I turned the temp control from cold to hot, so I definitely had a bad actuator. To "align" all I did was set temp to full cold, turn of ignition, and install the actuator with the blend door fully shut by manually turning the connector. It was easier than I expected based on some of the other threads I have seen. And it seems to work now, which is good...

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:40 PM
JTS

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Were you ever able to solve this issue? I have the exact same thing going on with my 2000 XJ and have been searching the last couple of weeks for an answer?