Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bleeding Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho

Tried bleeding the clutch but to no progress I decided to ask you guys for help. Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Dre
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L (242*CID) I6 MPI "Power Tech"

Originally Posted by 93xjguy
Tried bleeding the clutch but to no progress I decided to ask you guys for help. Any ideas?
It's pretty much gravity fed. You should not have to bleed it, unless you changed the bearing. Just keep pumping it until you feel the pressure. It make take a long time and you might look lop sided with a enlarged left calf, but you should be fine! If you want to get it done faster, take a bottle of fluid and a hose. Connect one end of the hose to the bleeder valve and the other in the bottle. Open the valve and start pumping. It's the same as doing breaks. If you tried to bleed it out, you need two people. You have to pump and pump the clutch, hold the pedal down as someone turns the valve. That should push both air and fluid out. So make sure you have enough and keep the tank full of fluid. The hose and bottle is a one person trick and when you release the pedal, it pulls the fluid in and so does pushing it out.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

Don't you have to close the valve before letting the pressure off the clutch to avoid sucking in air?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Dre
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by HCCAFan
Don't you have to close the valve before letting the pressure off the clutch to avoid sucking in air?
As long as the hose is in the bottle with fluid, you dont have to. It like blowing in chocolate milk! There will be an exchange. It's just a pain in the ....!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dre

It's pretty much gravity fed. You should not have to bleed it, unless you changed the bearing. Just keep pumping it until you feel the pressure. It make take a long time and you might look lop sided with a enlarged left calf, but you should be fine! If you want to get it done faster, take a bottle of fluid and a hose. Connect one end of the hose to the bleeder valve and the other in the bottle. Open the valve and start pumping. It's the same as doing breaks. If you tried to bleed it out, you need two people. You have to pump and pump the clutch, hold the pedal down as someone turns the valve. That should push both air and fluid out. So make sure you have enough and keep the tank full of fluid. The hose and bottle is a one person trick and when you release the pedal, it pulls the fluid in and so does pushing it out.
I tried to gravity bleed it and regular bleed it. It has a new clutch pressure plate slave cylinder/throwout bearing pilot bearing and masterslave
Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

try it this way push half way down on the pedal then open bleeder then push to floor close bleeder check fluid repeat
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Dre
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
try it this way push half way down on the pedal then open bleeder then push to floor close bleeder check fluid repeat
I know when I did mine, I just pumped the clutch for about an hour. Did it by myself. So many ways, just need the ppl to help.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Dre
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Dre

I know when I did mine, I just pumped the clutch for about an hour. Did it by myself. So many ways, just need the ppl to help.
I forgot to mention a check valve or one way valve. Mind and fingers are like fighting siblings!

Posted by: Dre
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Haha thanks man but it just won't bleed I think I gotta drop the tranny again. I called The Jeep Shop in pa and they said its a 50/50 chance with slave cylinders.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by freegdr
did you try this