Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

binding while turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default binding while turning

So I noticed while in wv and on tight turns around here I hear a noise coming from the right side wheel well, I am.not sure if it is rubbing ( have 30's on after market rims) or a bearing is going out? No vibes while going straight ( unless im at 75 but with the clutch in it stops pulsing, still have to figure that out) it some times happens in parking lots it sound like it is binding any ideas? Are the hub bearings replace type or a whole new hub? Any other bearing that could be going out?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? No ideas? Its a groaning noise, I checked the u joints they are tight, n now that its even colder I can hearvit when I hit a bump im starting to think its the spring bushings being cold and groaning
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Check your power steering fluid level, it could be low and that has a loud whine/drone when making a sharper turn. You could have rubbing on the fender but you would probably notice it from looking. Can you feel the binding in the steering wheel, does the front hop too or is it just a sound?

I think I have heard of tires contacting the lower control arm if the tires are too big for stock/no lift but I think 30's are ok on stock.

You can jack it up and grab the wheel at noon and 6 and push/pull back and forth to feel for play in the bearing. You should hear ujoints and bearings going out when driving strait though, but hey it is free to check!

I was taught as a general rule to avoid cranking the wheel all the way as much as possible if running anything but stock. Not much help there but hey it helps me