Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bewildered... what would cause severe drops in battery voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Bewildered... what would cause severe drops in battery voltage?

Two days ago, before i left work, i started my 2000 with the remote start (which i have done thousands of times before). I let it warm up for about ten minutes.

As I'm driving down the road toward the freeway, i come to a stop light...and stop of course. That's when my check gauges light came on. The voltage had dropped to nothing.Then, recovered somewhat, dropped to nothing again as i pulled into a gas station and parked. As i talked on the phone about the issue with my fiance, the voltage came back up to about half way to normal. I pulled out of my parking spot and up to a pump, voltage returned to normal and stayed there. I shut the Jeep off, and got gas.

Turned it back on to leave, with the key, and all was normal. Has not done that again.

Now, i did think, i also had the rear defrost on. I tried turning that on to see if it had caused the wonky voltage... But turning that on only caused voltage to drop slightly. Not all the way to zero. Tried using the remote start again later... Still no recreation of the problem.

Wth could have caused that?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

a few questions for you...
-When was the last time your battery was replaced?
-When was the last time you clean your battery terminals? or made sure they were tight? they can loosen up over time ..
-how old is your alternator? have you every replaced it? make sure that plug is tight also..?
-have you ever cleaned any of your grounds?
-did the check engine light leave a code?
this is a good starting point for us to help you
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

How old is your battery? I had a similar problem in the spring. My voltage would drop while I was driving and check gauges light would come on, then after awhile it would go back up and the light would go out. After a few days of this it would not start, took my battery in to be tested and the guy said it was toast and would not hold a charge, picked up a new one and the jeep fired right up. No problems since.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Rooster
a few questions for you...
-When was the last time your battery was replaced?
-When was the last time you clean your battery terminals? or made sure they were tight? they can loosen up over time ..
-how old is your alternator? have you every replaced it? make sure that plug is tight also..?
-have you ever cleaned any of your grounds?
-did the check engine light leave a code?
this is a good starting point for us to help you
Battery was replaced around a year ago.
At that time, i can't remember what wiring was replaced, but something going to the battery was worn, and a no start waiting to happen. I had had it in to have the alarm and remote start installed, and it would not start for the installers...but could be jumped.
Alternator has never been replaced by me.
I have not cleaned any grounds.
No CEL, just check gauges light. So, no code.

I have had some problems with the remote start that i need to have corrected. I know that.
Occasionally, if you let it run for too long after using the remote start, before inserting the key and turning it... It will try to recrank the motor, lock and unlock the doors by itself, and stepping on the brake with they key in the ignition will then cause the alarm to go off.

I'm trying to figure out if the voltage issue could be a new remote start issue, or if it is a Jeep only issue.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I would have the remote start corrected by the installer and then take it from there... this way it can be 100% ruled out.. that what i would do if it was me...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Start with the easy stuff, sounds like a failing alternator in the beginning stages to me, and exactly what mine did before it totally crapped out.

#1 and 2, remove battery and alternator, go to you auto parts place of choice and have them tested, #3 clean and check all main battery and ground connections, #4 check belt condition and tension, a loose/worn belt could slip on the alternator causing it to not work as well.

Don't start into it any harder than you need to.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Yep, time for an alternator. Replace it before it leaves you stranded.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Deff a weak alternator..... Once your vehicle has run and drained what it's te battery things go xx.... Wile at idle ur alternator is giving off enough to chars and barely maintain what's its using but under load the alternator is just not enough and you are draining the battery.... Have alternator checked first. I am a used car dealer and deal with this 3 times a week at least
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks guys. Will check the alternator first.

Took the Jeep back to the installer of the remote start, and he insisted it was a bad remote. Well, he was wrong. He replaced my remote, and the damn thing did it again last night. So, I'll have to take it back over there again for the recrank, lock/unlock, alarm issue.

It has not done the weird voltage thing again...yet.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Though the alternator and battery are definitely possibilities, I'd have to lean toward just a flaky voltmeter (or a bad connection somewhere). Even if the alt was dying completely, the battery should provide plenty of cushion so that the voltmeter wouldn't swing up and down like that.