Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

best all-terrain tire for mud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default best all-terrain tire for mud?

I am thinking I am going to go to an all terrain for my dd so that they wear longer, and I was wondering if anyone out there has had better luck with one tire over another. I will be on the road about 75% the rest on back trails and hills. If anyone has any input let me know. Thanks , oh and I will probably be running 30's or 31's and I pull trailers and my boat if that makes any difference.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

I have BFG A/T's in a 32 and ran 31's before I went to a bigger lift. I put alot of road miles on mine and the wear is great. My 31's I ran for about 15000 mi. and you would have thought they were brand new. As far as offroad in the mud they are pretty good but it is not a M/T. In the wet stuff snow/rain I love them and in sand they are awesome. I will most likely keep these til it is time for new ones which will be a long time.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Ive used both the General Grabber AT2's and the BFG's.

As with any offroad or AT tire you need to rotate often (I do mine every oil change) and watch the alignment as some tires will cup easily.

I think it ultimately comes down to price and performance.

The Generals I had were great under any condition, didnt cake up with thick mud and were great in the snow, both deep and light, slush, sleet, ice and rain. They wouldnt peel out for anything and had relatively low road noise for an aggressive tire. They looked ok on the truck with the black wagon wheels as well...
The only thing I questioned was the tread wear. They seemed to wear quicker, then again I was about 75% paved roads so that may have had something to do with it. I also had a tracking issue so the front right would want to cup a little on the outside, but as soon as I fixed the issue, the wear stopped. Again, a good tire for the price if you want to save a few clams...

The BFG's are what they are, BFG's. I believe that you are paying more for the name than the performance. They cake up something awful in the thick mud and dont clean as quickly as the BFG's. In the rain they are ok as well as the snow, especially deep snow they performed better than the Generals. I can do small burn outs with them, they dont grip like the Generals do, and they are louder on the road...but like I said, its the name more than anything, besides they look sick when they are all cleaned up with the white lettering on a black wagon wheel, IMHO.

DO NOT buy the Goodyear MT's or the other GY AT's. In that case all you are paying for is the name. Coopers are good, I hear as well as the Bridgestone's.

Take your time and do the research, its a costly investment that you have to live with.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly there are some decent mts out there that will wear great for a daily driver. two that i can think of and ran were the bfg mt and the maxxis bighorns. the bighorns are quiet for a mt and did exceptionally well on and off road. ill be running them on my xj. had them on my tj and never had a problem. thing with ats is they get filled up with mud, snow, etc quickly so they are apain off road. at least thats my experience with them.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

i had coopers st's on my old f150 and they held up great and wouid kill in the mud
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

the kuhmo a/t do well in mud...

if you really want to do well in mud get a m/t tire...just get a more street freindly m/t, like bfg, firestone, copper stt, or pro comp mt's...

you can still excell past 40-50 thousand miles on them...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:53 PM

has anyone had that M/T baja claw?? I know it aint really a all terrain tire, but I am thinking it might work. The trails I would be hitting would be for hunting , camping and what not so I would need something that would work decently in mud. I don't mind tire noise, in fact I like it better than exhaust!!! I know dumb right?!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

my brother has the micky tomp. baja m/t on his durango he has had them for bout 2 + yrs driving on street every day and they still have desent tred on them
is this the one your talking about
Name:  P9200131.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 11-21-2008, 06:42 PM

yep thats them, I think that they would do good and have good street manners
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

they are deffently loud but seems like good wear on them
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

hold on here.

no AT is gonna do well in mud. to whoever said buying a goodyear tire is just paying for the name you're 100% wrong. the silentarmor is a great all-around street/AT, and the MT/R is the tire of choice out west.

baja claws suck.

lastly, paying for 'the name' is a stupid way to think when buying tires. youre buying TIRES, not cereal. the wal-mart brand tire isnt gonna be the same as the name brand.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 PM

I know all terrains aren't the first thing you think of when you think mud, but there are going to be ones better than another the same way there are better mud tires than the other. Everyone has their own opinion about each tire. I am just trying to weed out the ones that people cant stand or want.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Users

have u looked at the wild country rvt or txr tires yet. there pretty quiet on the road and do dang good in the mud. my last set of rvt tires i got almost 25000 miles before i replaced them. any lesscwab has them.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

look into a mud terrain. trust me.

they don't melt when they touch pavement, only iroks and creepy crawlers and every other tire i ever ran does.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The ultimate All Terrain:

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=2&g=1

I guess...i haven't read any reviews on it yet.

I would just get some bfg mud terrains. They can go 40-50k miles and do well on pavement and excel off road. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: best all-terrain tire for mud?