Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt squealing !

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Belt squealing !

When I start my Cherokee something is squealing awful for maybe 30 seconds then it stops! Don't do it every time you start it ! Belt seems to be plenty tight ! Any thoughts ?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leaking water pump dripping onto the lower pulley.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Default belt squealing

No sir no water leaking wondering if the pulley that puts tension on belt is wore out !?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM

If it were that pulley it would squeal every time. It doesn't take much of a drip from your h2o pump to cause belt slip and squeal.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:47 PM

Default belt squealing

True ! I will check that but haven't seen any water of any kind . Sounds like idler pulley or power steering pump maybe !?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Why oh why can't posters include their year model, engine etc.????????

You cannot tell that a 4.0 belt is tight enough by "it seems to be plenty tight". Is your A/C usually on when you start the motor?

Loosen the belt and check all components including visual check of harmonic balancer. If everything seems to be okay, tighten until squealing stops and no more.

Some swear by a tension gauge but I know that I am not going to drive around with the belt squealing regardless of what the gauge says. I've never destroyed a bearing but perhaps I've just been lucky.

What is history of your belt, how old, tightening schedule etc.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 AM

Default belt squealing

Sorry it is a 2001 4.0 !
Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Pelican

You cannot tell that a 4.0 belt is tight enough by "it seems to be plenty tight". Is your A/C usually on when you start the motor?

Loosen the belt and check all components including visual check of harmonic balancer. If everything seems to be okay, tighten until squealing stops and no more.

Some swear by a tension gauge but I know that I am not going to drive around with the belt squealing regardless of what the gauge says. I've never destroyed a bearing but perhaps I've just been lucky.

I have, just not on a Jeep its not that hard to do anything can be over tightened.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Pelican

^^ This^^
I also never used a belt tension gauge. I just tighten it and if it doesn't make any squeak I'm good to go. And if it does I just tighten a little at a time until it stops. The belt on the 4.0 has to be STUPID TIGHT!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM

Tighten until you get about 1/8" deflection on the longest section of belt.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
^^ This^^
I also never used a belt tension gauge. I just tighten it and if it doesn't make any squeak I'm good to go. And if it does I just tighten a little at a time until it stops. The belt on the 4.0 has to be STUPID TIGHT!!!
+1

I tried the 1/8" method and it just wouldn't quite do it.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Soaping Belt

Tight, tighter, tightest the darn new belt would still chirp.

Finally in desperation I went out there with a bottle of Dawn dish soap and the garden hose. Idling, I got it wet, then squirt soap on both sides, rinsed some, and soaped a little more. Let it idle a minute all soapy. To end, I ran the hose slow on it running for a couple minutes. Bingo! That solved it. There was some sort of coating on the new belt? Idk.

I normally run my belt as loose as I can, and still have the alternator not slip with the blower on high, and lights on brights. Puts less strain on all the other bearings. Radi pointed out a cool tip. After it might have been slipping, (voltage has been low), see if the Alt. pulley is hot. I want to go back and loosen it a tad now.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Soaping Belt

Tight, tighter, tightest the darn new belt would still chirp.

Finally in desperation I went out there with a bottle of Dawn dish soap and the garden hose. Idling, I got it wet, then squirt soap on both sides, rinsed some, and soaped a little more. Let it idle a minute all soapy. To end, I ran the hose slow on it running for a couple minutes. Bingo! That solved it. There was some sort of coating on the new belt? Idk.

I normally run my belt as loose as I can, and still have the alternator not slip with the blower on high, and lights on brights. Puts less strain on all the other bearings. Radi pointed out a cool tip. After it might have been slipping, (voltage has been low), see if the Alt. pulley is hot. I want to go back and loosen it a tad now.
I got to the point when have to change out the belt I will wash it with a little soap and water before I put it on and it keeps me from having to tighten it to much the first time.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

GATESK060975

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rive,belt,8900
Old 05-29-2020, 05:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

I got one of those belt clicker thingy's and never have used it. I always just go by twisting of the belt and feel never a issue...now next time I do the belt it'll be screaming like a banshee!

Quick Reply: Belt squealing !