Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Belt Squeal

Hello all. I have a 95 XJ 2.5L with 220k. Last week i replaced the haromonic balancer and timing seal. When i put everythinng back together I noticed i had a belt squeal when i started it up. So i loosened the belt and it got better, but the belt was looser than i like it. I replaced the belt with another autozone one and the squeal was still there!

I used a stethoscope and checked the bearings in the waterpump, alternator, idler pulleys, etc... and they are fine. I am 99% sure it is a belt squeal. I checked to make sure the harmonic balancer is aligned, and i am pretty sure it is. I used an impact ratchet to tighten it up. I sprayed that belt conditioner the belt and it did not help.

When i take the belt off, and start the engine the sound goes away.

Does anybody know how i can fix this?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Default hair spray

gday mate
my 99 2.5 did the same thing and i old bloke i know said give the pulleys a go over with abit of hair spray and it worked,my mechanic did say you can buy a proper spay to fix this aswell but give it a go cost me 99 cents
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tassiejeep
gday mate
my 99 2.5 did the same thing and i old bloke i know said give the pulleys a go over with abit of hair spray and it worked,my mechanic did say you can buy a proper spay to fix this aswell but give it a go cost me 99 cents
If you mechanic told you to spray your belt with belt dressing. FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!
You DO NOT put belt dressing on serpentine belt... That stuff was made for V-belts. It will only cause your belt to fail prematurely.
More then likely you need to tighten the belt more. the only reason it stops making when you made it looser is because there isn't any resistance on it. The XJ belt has to be incredibly tight.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Get one of this (Krikit II $12), works great.
Name:  random94306001.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Default Re Belt Squeal

I Just replaced my idler pulley. I narrowed down the source of the squeal with a piece of tubing stuck in my ear. The noise was actually coming from the spot where the belt contacts the idler pulley. Inspection of the pulley revealed that the bearing was O.K., but the surface of the pulley was worn smooth and polished. I took a chance and bought a Delco pulley for about $20 and made the belt quite tight (only 1/4" play with a strong push). Problem solved.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Knucklebuster
I Just replaced my idler pulley. I narrowed down the source of the squeal with a piece of tubing stuck in my ear. The noise was actually coming from the spot where the belt contacts the idler pulley. Inspection of the pulley revealed that the bearing was O.K., but the surface of the pulley was worn smooth and polished. I took a chance and bought a Delco pulley for about $20 and made the belt quite tight (only 1/4" play with a strong push). Problem solved.
I've also been told you can lightly scuff the pulleys and idlers with a green/red scratch pad to rough up the surface slightly and also knock off any surface rust that sometimes forms on them.