Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Belt Squeal

I have an 01 cherokee with a very loud belt squeal. I started out with replacing the belt, made it better one day then it went back to sqealing. So, I tightened the belt up in increments and this did not help it. I tightened it way tighter then it probably should have been once I realized this was not the problem, i loosened the belt to the point where I felt comfortable.
The squeal got worse today, so i went out and bought an idler pulley and this did not fix the issue either. The squeal is definitely coming from the center of the engine. So its either the waterpump or the harmonic balancer.

So all of this being said, is it possible that the waterpump could cause a continous high pitched squeal?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I'm having the same problem but older 95 model I don't have a tensioner mine was dead center sound I replaced my Water pump didn't fix it seems the HB or misaligned pullies that's what I'm guessing but mine isn't fixed either need some help on this as well
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Year: 1999

check your power steering pump, I had the same problem with both my ZJ and XJ. the thrust bearings in the pumps were bad the entire shaft,pulley was walking in and out of the pump, yet it didn't leak and the power steering worked fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM

So how to determine deff power steering pump? Bc mine clearly when ya spray water on belt it goes quiet until belt it dry again
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Also my WP and fan pullies appear like the belt is "off" towards the engine and not centered you can see a old groove where they used to rest
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Check your harmonic balancer to see if it is seperating. It will rub on the timing chain cover, squeak bad and wear through the cover.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sportrider
check your power steering pump, I had the same problem with both my ZJ and XJ. the thrust bearings in the pumps were bad the entire shaft,pulley was walking in and out of the pump, yet it didn't leak and the power steering worked fine.

It doesnt sound like its coming from the psp. It seems likes it more from the dead center of the engine. I had the belt off tonight and tugged on the pspulley and water pump and neither seemed to have play.

Is is possible for the water pump to squeal continuosly. How do you tell if your pulleys are misaligned (easiest way to tell).
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Note: When i pour water on the ribbed part of the belt it quitens until the belt dries.
Really looking for the fix. I already have $60.00 in the belt and idler pulley and its still not fixed.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by wcjr

So all of this being said, is it possible that the waterpump could cause a continous high pitched squeal?
Is is possible for the water pump to squeal continuosly. How do you tell if your pulleys are misaligned (easiest way to tell).
YUP!

Water pumps fail in several ways ...... bearing going bad cause squeal.

Do what I did on my 05 with a squeal.

I sprayed some lubricant on the backside of all pulleys, insuring it got into the bearing area.

As soon as I hosed down the water pump pulley on the back ( engine ) side and started it up it got quiet.

Water pump on the way.

Last edited by KD3NE; 01-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Year: 1998 Sport and 2000 Classic

The first thing I would do is take the belt off and and check to see if the water pump has any play in it. If it does that is your problem. The harmonic blancer will start to separate, has it is two piece.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I replaced my water pump nothing I have same issue as he does it sounds like dead center I'm like him it gets costly just replacing stuff when I pour water on mine it shuts up until it's dry like his now how again more detail to check harmonic balancer
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Year: 1998 Sport and 2000 Classic

Check to see if the balancer is inline with all the other pulleys or it should be flush on the back side down to the crank.

Last edited by BCrash; 01-18-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

I have an 01 cherokee with a very loud belt squeal. I started out with replacing the belt, made it better one day then it went back to sqealing. So, I tightened the belt up in increments and this did not help it. I tightened it way tighter then it probably should have been once I realized this was not the problem, i loosened the belt to the point where I felt comfortable.
The squeal got worse today, so i went out and bought an idler pulley and this did not fix the issue either. The squeal is definitely coming from the center of the engine. So its either the waterpump or the harmonic balancer.

I just changed my water pump because of this! The barrings on the inside were the culprit on mine! Check the pulley for play!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Year: 2001

It doesnt sound like its coming from the psp. It seems likes it more from the dead center of the engine. I had the belt off tonight and tugged on the pspulley and water pump and neither seemed to have play.

I have an 01 and similar situation. So much so, i really think we got the same issue, but I just replaced the water pump and idler and it still squeals. Let me know what you decide next and the outcome. If it doesn't work I'll replace something different.... Hahaha. Really embarrassing rockn' the squeal.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My '92 started squealing too!

Replaced the harmonic balancer last winter due to it seperating and eating thru my timing cover. DON'T let it happen to you.

Anywho, im running a Dayco belt. I don't like Daycos really. Was running GoodYear gatorbacks for YEARS till they discontinued em.

You using a Gates or Dayco belt or ??

Yes, it needs to be TIGHT. Very tight.

Quick Reply: Belt Squeal