Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

***BEGINNER*** New Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default ***BEGINNER*** New Jeep

Hey everyone
I just bought my first car, a 1991 burgundy Jeep Cherokee Laredo 112k miles on it.
I am excited.

There are a few things that I would like to fix and have questions about.
I' know a little bit about cars but not enough, some of these could be very basic things.

1)
the rear windshield wiper is not working and i hear a noise in the hatch every once in awhile im thinking it has something to do with the motor of the wiper, what should I do next?
2) There is plastic trim that goes around each window that is peeling off in some places and underneath is chrome... do i just peal that off?
3)The trim that runs along the bottom of the doors is coming off slightly near the front of the front doors on each side. Should i use the double sided foam tape for that and slip it in between to re attach it?
4) The stearing wheel is tilted to the left slightly, however when i cautiously let the steering wheel do its own thing the jeep holds steady telling me the wheels are aligned how do i re-adjust it?
5)on drive train shifter what does H stand for?
6)My side mirrors dont listen to where i want them to go, with the actual adjuster or by hand. how do i fix that.
7) Same problem but with a/c vents
8) My parking break doesnt have a button on it, and it doesnt seem to engage. Thoughts?
More later...
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

4.Adjust the drag link. It is the link coming off the pitman arm. Loosen the clamp bolts and spin the coupler one direction or the other, until your steering wheel is straight. then tighten the clamps back up
5. The H stands for High
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

allot of what you just listed are pricey to fix if you want your jeep to look like it did when it came from the factory. sounds like the JY (junkyard) is the place for you... take care of the exterior body first. BUT! if your ever gonna step up the tires to anything more that a 29" then consider doing some trim work now. be methodical and plan according to budget, ability, and ultimate goal with jeep. do your research, figure out whats priority and go from there. also, my jeep has the little metal ends showing on most of the trim, and some peices have even come up missing thru the winter. its really nothing to important to me, but thats me. so, as far as the electrical stuff, jeeps are notorious for weak wiring. the master door (aka window) switch in the drivers door is usually the cause for your window, door lock and mirror issue. once again, similar issue with mine; none of the pass. window switches work, just mine! haha! good luck! (be mindful of that budget!!!)
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 92mallcrawler
4.Adjust the drag link. It is the link coming off the pitman arm. Loosen the clamp bolts and spin the coupler one direction or the other, until your steering wheel is straight. then tighten the clamps back up
5. The H stands for High
Hypothetically if i had no idea what the pitman arm was where would i find it?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 AM

Thanks so much for the great advice, there is a junkyard near me that i might be able to scrounge aorund in.

The mirror issue isn't electrical, its the old-school **** type. Ill chdck the wiring on the master door switches, that much i can do. Have some experience with wiring.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Irhall93
Hypothetically if i had no idea what the pitman arm was where would i find it?
it is the cast steel arm that is held onto the output shaft of your steering box with a very large nut.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 92mallcrawler
it is the cast steel arm that is held onto the output shaft of your steering box with a very large nut.
What would be the best way to get to it?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

its accessible w/o issue
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
its accessible w/o issue
hehehe, yes but where. I apologize for being thick but I know zip about all of this.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 AM

pitman arm is right behind bumper on driver side. It makes a "z" shape with two holes. Google a pic of it then look under your the jeep, can't miss it.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

haha. that pic is referenced so many times, its great. i gotta say it helped me numerous times! (easy way to find it is a google search of "4x4xplor.com")
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks so much =)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM

you are welcome.
re #1) the rear windshield wiper is not working and i hear a noise in the hatch every once in awhile im thinking it has something to do with the motor of the wiper, what should I do next?
You should see if the wiper works with the switch in the wash position. If it only works in the wash position then you have a switch problem. If no switch position makes the wiper move but you hear sounds from the rear hatch area remove the interior plastic from the hatch/liftgate and switch the wiper on. Go back and place your hand on the wiper motor, maybe give it a love tap with a hammer, see it it's trying to move. Report back your results.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Irhall93
1) the rear windshield wiper is not working and i hear a noise in the hatch every once in awhile im thinking it has something to do with the motor of the wiper, what should I do next?
2) There is plastic trim that goes around each window that is peeling off in some places and underneath is chrome... do i just peal that off?
3)The trim that runs along the bottom of the doors is coming off slightly near the front of the front doors on each side. Should i use the double sided foam tape for that and slip it in between to re attach it?
4) The stearing wheel is tilted to the left slightly, however when i cautiously let the steering wheel do its own thing the jeep holds steady telling me the wheels are aligned how do i re-adjust it?
5)on drive train shifter what does H stand for?
6)My side mirrors dont listen to where i want them to go, with the actual adjuster or by hand. how do i fix that.
7) Same problem but with a/c vents
8) My parking break doesnt have a button on it, and it doesnt seem to engage. Thoughts?
More later...
#2 yes you can just peel it off, later if you want you can scuff the chrome with maroon color scotch-brite and repaint if the chrome bothers you.

#3 3M make a great double sided tape for body trim, make sure you clean both surfaces before reattaching.

#6 power mirrors will have a fuse, find a check it.

#7 need more info please

#8 junk yard/ pick and pull for replacement e-brake lever

Quick Reply: ***BEGINNER*** New Jeep