Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

BED liner ON a BUMPER

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default BED liner ON a BUMPER

i just got a new rear bumper and i want to use bed liner to "paint" it, i was thinking about using the Duplicolor stuff that is in an arosol can but i heard that it fades in like one summer, i also thought about herculiner roll on stuff, i want a relitively inexpesive way to do it that will last and look real good!

thanks for the help everyone!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I did exactly what your talking about doing. The spray on stuff peals off in about a year from what ive seen and herculiner is great. I used herculiner on the inside of my jeep and was very happy with it. For my bumper I used a slightly cheaper kind but it was still the roll on type. I dont think it cost more than 20 bucks. buy the smallest can because ive always had plenty of extra.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

search, was just covered in the last week
Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Year: 2001

I just sprayed mine, we will see how it does. looks good so far
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM

I sprayed mine it lasted about 7 months and peeled.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by esteem
I did exactly what your talking about doing. The spray on stuff peals off in about a year from what ive seen and herculiner is great. I used herculiner on the inside of my jeep and was very happy with it. For my bumper I used a slightly cheaper kind but it was still the roll on type. I dont think it cost more than 20 bucks. buy the smallest can because ive always had plenty of extra.

when you used the herculiner did you just get the can of it and use a different roller or did you get the kit?

and i have been serching for others that have talked about this but i cant seem to fint the thread... my bad!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM

Engine: ???

Good luck, make sure you clean the area real good with alcohal first.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I just did mine with the dupli color spray. Looks really good. Not sure about the fading or peeling tho cause I just did it thir month. Turned out nice tho.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mboss1024
when you used the herculiner did you just get the can of it and use a different roller or did you get the kit?

and i have been serching for others that have talked about this but i cant seem to fint the thread... my bad!
For the herculiner i used a regular paint roller and it worked fine but the second time i used the kit because it was only five bucks more. The kit came with a roller that gave it more texture and made the surface much more rough. you could also use a paint brush with a wide enough tip, wont be as easy to even it out though
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by esteem
For the herculiner i used a regular paint roller and it worked fine but the second time i used the kit because it was only five bucks more. The kit came with a roller that gave it more texture and made the surface much more rough. you could also use a paint brush with a wide enough tip, wont be as easy to even it out though

see i thought about using the roll on stuff with just a regular paint roller but i have been talking to alot of people and alot of them said that if you do that the bed liner is thick enough that it pulls some of the nap off when you apply it, and i dont want little chunks of nap causing shenanigens on my bumper...

i also thought that a spounge roller would work too, but is the roller in the kit just for adding texture? because i dont know if i want it textured, i was thinking that it might look better if it was fairly smooth... idk thoughts?

thanks guys!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

X2 on Herculiner, Duplicolor=crap
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Ok Lets compair apples to apples. Duplicolor is a spray on. The other stuff is a roll on. Or you can spend big bucks to buy a gun to spray it on.
Check out my album for pics on what I did. Duplicolor all thr way. Prep is the key. And if it starts to peel a year from now I will just spray more on!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Duplicolor makes the same crap in roll on too. The advantage to roll on is you get a lot thicker application. Don't get me wrong, the duplicolor stuff has it's place, like my wheel wells and general undercoating, but for a surface like a bumper or the exterior it just doesn't hold up.

Preparation IS key so when yours strats peeling in LESS than a year be sure to completely remove it before you spray it again.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

what about raptor liner? comes in gallon kits with the spray nozzle and hardener. available in black or a clear you can tint with a urethane base.
how about a color matched bed lined bumper eh?
http://www.tptools.com/p/2600,233_U-...Liner-Kit.html
Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 PM

alright, i have come to a decision, my dad sells the duplicolor stuff so i can get the cans of that for dirt cheap, sooooo i think what im going to do is buy 2 cases (12 cans) and just spray the $h1t out of it and hope it holds on, if not i will be scrapping it all off and bringing it to line-x or rhino when i have the 300-400 bucks that they want to do it... or maybe ill wait and just get the whole freaking jeep sprayed for 2100 hahaha

EVERYONE, thanks again for all the feedback, it all helps me out a ton! i will post pictures as soon as i get it sprayed and mounted, could be 2-3 weeks

ps if you have a roof rack or plans on it check out one of my other threads Build Your Own Roof Rack!!! i think i have a good idea of what i want but ideas always help!

thanks again everyone!!!!

Quick Reply: BED liner ON a BUMPER