Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery gauge maxing out and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter straight six
Default Battery gauge maxing out and won't start

Hey guys, I was driving home from school today and I noticed my check gauge light come on. After I noticed this I saw that my battery gauge was maxed out at 19 volts. Luckily I was only a few miles from home and I made it back with no problem. After doing a bit of research when I got back I found that this has happened to what seems like quite a few Cherokee owners. Digging a little deeper I found that a lot of guys were able to just clean their battery terminals, wires, and connectors and the problem went away. So after doing this I decided to go for a quick drive around the block to see if that had done the trick. I started out fine but sure enough as soon as I revved the motor to about 2000 rpms the battery gauge spiked again and wouldn't go back down. So I began searching for solutions again. I was able to find a volt meter and see what kind of voltage my battery was putting out and it's perfectly normal right about 12.4 volts. It was getting late so I decided I would just wait to work on it till the next day but when I went to start it up to move it to it's normal spot in my driveway it wouldn't start. The motor turned over once then went completely cold. I'm not getting any power from my battery at all. No interior lights when I open the door, not even any beeping sounds from the ignition when I insert my keys. Any Ideas? If you need anymore info I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge but I'm not very mechanically inclined so please bear with me!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

I had the same problem about a month or so ago. read it here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tur...g-dies-191696/

What i basically had to do was change the wire running from the batt. to the starter and now no more issues. hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Yeah that would make sense. I checked and my wires do have a bit of corrosion. I cleaned em up as best I could and put everything back together and I still cant get a start. It clicked once like it was coming from the starter but then everything went cold again.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

Had the same issue man, just cleaning the wires wont do. go to autozone or whichever shop you prefer and pick yourself up a nice 4 gauge cable and replace the existing one running from the batt to the starter. wile your at it grab some steel wool and clean your grounds
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Okay I'll try that. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Got her running! Pulled out my battery and alternator and had em tested. Turns out my battery had a bad cell. So I took this chance to really upgrade and shelled out the cash to but the Optima yellow top. It's a bad ***** battery AND, of course the most important part, it matches the color of my jeep. Just to be safe I did buy some heavy duty wire to rewire in the near future. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Wattguy
Got her running! Pulled out my battery and alternator and had em tested. Turns out my battery had a bad cell. So I took this chance to really upgrade and shelled out the cash to but the Optima yellow top. It's a bad ***** battery AND, of course the most important part, it matches the color of my jeep. Just to be safe I did buy some heavy duty wire to rewire in the near future. Thanks for the help!
Sweet yellow cherokee. My optima red top also matches my 94 cherokee . Nothing like a $150 battery coming with a $600 cherokee that needed a motor.