Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn key, *click*, and everything dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Turn key, *click*, and everything dies

Hey guys, my 01 XJ wont start.
I get in, turn the key, all the power works, then i go to turn it over, it makes a *click* noise, as if it were coming from the starter, and everything dies.

Could this be my starter or NSS? these are the two things i think it could possibly be.. but its really frustrating considering I just purchased a BRAND NEW starter for my jeep about 2 months ago.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have a bad connection. Have you had your battery load tested and make sure it's fully charged? Also you need to check the cables and all of the grounds.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Mine was doing exactly the same thing. I could go under the hood and wiggle the battery cables and it would then fire up so I figured it was the connection. I cleaned up the battery terminals/connections and also the cable ends...on both ends. Its all good for now. Look at your battery cables real good because the corrosion can and does creep down the cable under the insulation. There is a guy on here that makes/sells new heavier sets...i suspect you and I both need to track him down.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Do what they said, that click is your starter solenoid trying to engage the starter, but you're just making the whole Jeep die because it isn't getting enough juice.

Check the condition of your battery cables and clamps, make sure there is no corrosion and the cable is firmly connected at both ends. If you have a multimeter, make sure your battery is putting out over 12 volts (A full battery will be 12.6 volts).

If all else fails, take the batter in somewhere to get it load-tested.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM

The battery is brand new as well, Everything works fine, i can turn the power on inside the car will work, my 600 watt amp even gets power and works fine, So i honestly dont think its my battery, although it could be. I guess the best thing to do is take out my starter and battery and get them both tested at autozone, and if they're both fine, then it must be a bad connection somewhere ):
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Wojtas
The battery is brand new as well, Everything works fine, i can turn the power on inside the car will work, my 600 watt amp even gets power and works fine, So i honestly dont think its my battery, although it could be. I guess the best thing to do is take out my starter and battery and get them both tested at autozone, and if they're both fine, then it must be a bad connection somewhere ):
Defective batteries do exist, it could have a dead cell. And that starter motor alone pulls WAY more amperes than your amplifiers or anything pull. Your 600 watt amp only pulls 50 amps. The starter can pull over a hundred.

Take our word and check your connections and batter first, then test the starter. Keep it stupid simple, essentially.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Sure, you could do that... or you could check the connections and cables for corrosion, as has been suggested. Why would you go through the time and effort of removing a part that might not have anything to do with your problem, when it could be as simple as cleaning a connection?

Not telling you what to do, but when it comes to problem solving, sure seems like it would be obvious to check the simple/free stuff first.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

I looked it up since I forgot the magic number, the 4.0's starter pulls anywhere from 150 to 350 amps.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I stripped down the wires a bit to get to a better part in hopes that it would start and there was still corrosion creeping down the wires... I guess new cables it is then. But first get the battery tested (which is free) and make sure it's not garbage like everything else I seem to get from Duralast. Thank you for your help guys, this jeep would have been dead a long time ago if it was't for this forum. I will keep you updated.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I stripped down the wires a bit to get to a better part in hopes that it would start and there was still corrosion creeping down the wires... I guess new cables it is then. But first get the battery tested (which is free) and make sure it's not garbage like everything else I seem to get from Duralast. Thank you for your help guys, this jeep would have been dead a long time ago if it was't for this forum. I will keep you updated.
For batteries, I'd go Interstate or OEM (Mopar or w/e Fiat calls them in this case). In my opinion, all parts store brand batterys are junk. I call them Never-starts! (Get it? Because of Walmart's Everstarts? lol).

If you're serious about offroading and wanna spend the money, get an Optima.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Check your tire pressures this happened to me once
Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

...Still trying to process that response.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline 6

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
...Still trying to process that response.
X2
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

I'd side with your connections being bad. I had the same thing happen to me last year or so. The cables you guys are referring to I bought on here.
http://www.kelleyswip.com/ They are a heavier guage and I am sure the craftmanship is 20x better than you will find anywhere else. It did take some time to receive them, but I have no complaints.

Be sure to order the marine battery posts as well. You will thank yourself later when you only have to undo a wing nut to disconnect your battery whilst working on it later.

He will also walk you through what to order via email. I had a lot of questions but he was able to answer them all.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Shes up and running.
Took out the battery and starter to get them tested at autozone, both were fine.
So I bought a new 4 gauge battery cable along with new terminals, bolted everything back on, fired right up.
Thanks again guys, without this forum this jeep would've been dead a long time ago.