Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery Gage Dies When Driving...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 litre, line 6
Default Battery Gage Dies When Driving...

Hey everyone its been awhile since i posted anything up here but heres whats up...today im driving to school and i notice my check gages light is on in my 00 XJ. Since it was early i hadnt payed much attention to my dash and i was almost to school when i saw the light....anyways my battery gage reads dead (9 volts) when im driving.....but if i turn off the motor and just turn the key to where my electrical stuff works it reads normal volts....any ideas? alternator? doesnt act like the alternator drove all the way cross town twice.....im a little stumped. ....and i did do a search for the problem but didnt find anything so if theres a thread im sorry.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Strange, this happened to me the other day. Everything seemed fine, I kinda thought it was a loose wire on the gauge.

Needless to say as I was driving into work this morning I watched my dash lights slowly dim the whole way, stereo give up, and heater slow down. When I got in, I shut it off and tried to start it and the battery didn't have enough juice.

I just got back from the parts store getting a new alternator. I had opened the hood and noticed my cables really corroded bad, so I am going to clean them off and hopefully cure the problem with out replacing the alternator.

Long story short, its probably a problem. Are the cables corroded?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing..but ended up not being able to start after a while. I pulled the battery and alternator, had both bench tested, cleaned all connections..reinstalled and never had the problem again.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Nope the cables are actually fairly clean because i just replaced my battery back in August..another thing thats happening is it wont drop off till ive driven a minute..maybe it is a connection on the.alternator....drove a really bumpy dirt road last night. Hmmm
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Check that 10mm nut on the alt mine was loose when it done that before, also go have your alt tested just to rule it is not bad.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine would take a few miles down the road to peg down. I had went wheeling the weekend before.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Mine did the same thing..but ended up not being able to start after a while. I pulled the battery and alternator, had both bench tested, cleaned all connections..reinstalled and never had the problem again.
thanks for the suggestion!! i just got done cleaning all the connections and what do you know..there was sticks and mud and all sorts of **** in there from when i got stuck awhile back...and for now the problem has vanished
Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

thats awesome, your lucky. Mine is now in the shop getting the cables and alternator replaced grrrr. I though for sure the corrosion was the cause but sure enough they tested the alt and it was bad. then they smacked it with a hammer, and boom it worked for a few more minutes I just wish I had the time to do it myself.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by theMetal
thats awesome, your lucky. Mine is now in the shop getting the cables and alternator replaced grrrr. I though for sure the corrosion was the cause but sure enough they tested the alt and it was bad. then they smacked it with a hammer, and boom it worked for a few more minutes I just wish I had the time to do it myself.
Well mine finally went out yesterday, its not hard to replace just expensive. Took me bout a hour and id never done a alt before