Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

battery draining gauges jumping starter only clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Angry battery draining gauges jumping starter only clicking

so i have a short im goin to describe everthing that is goin on the best way possible get ready and kiss my *** cause my grammer sucks.

so got a short the the starter does not turn over unless i get a jump from another car which has to be on my battery jumper wont work it just clicks so got the starter and battery tested both were ok so heres the deal when i first noticed it i went to turn the car to the on position *not start* all voltage levels read fine lights worked everything was ok turned the key to start it and all of a sudden no power anywhere like something drained that fast so i figured its most likely a dead short but i dont see any wires melted or burnt i started looking for the short and found out i was looking for the wrong way *i service data lines data shorts are different from current shorts i found out a lil later* so when i did get it start heres a few things that happened started up ran fine turned my fan switch and and boom speedometer stops working*wierd i know it runs off of a cable* then i went to turn the lights on and my right blinker indecator stays lit? whats going on ive told you everything that ive dont i changed my injectors about a month ago i disconnected them to make sure as well but still no luck anyways this is really starting to **** me off and i dont take my cars to shops ide rather fix it
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.6 stroker

thanx for all the help guys!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM

if i had to take a stab, you have a bad connection somewhere. the battery and starter test eliminate those. look for a bad ground. you have all of your functions and when you turn the key to start and nothing happens, you are getting voltage but no amps are getting to the starter, when you jump start it you are doubling the amps and forcing a connection.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

When you changed the injectors are you sure you re-connected the ground strap/wire?
Dan