Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Basic Electronics Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Basic Electronics Question

I installed new speakers and they sound like hell. I'm nearly positive they are out of phase because I didn't pay attention. I've read a million times how to test the speaker's polarity, but I still need to match the +/- speaker wire to the +/- factory wire, right? How do I determine which wire is positive and which is negative in the Jeep? (I have a Haynes manual, but the wiring and fuses seem never to be the same in two different XJs). To test, will I have to cut the wire and splice again, or can I just poke through the insulation?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

the ground wire color should be the same for everything on your jeep, so just find wiring going to the chassis and that will tell you the color. you can poke through the wire cover and it won.t hurt anything inside, but outside it will allow corrosion to set in, so I re-seal with rtv outside. hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New too this site

First off I must be brain dead,I cant find anywhere too click too post a question ,can someone help?
The real problem is no headlights,pull switch out nothing, except dash blinkers and highbeam light on dash come on,if I put the blinkres on with or without the light switch pulled all blinkers blink,only faster with light switch pulled, fuses good,any suggestions
Jeep is 1996 cherokeee with 309000 miles
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by xjforfishing
the ground wire color should be the same for everything on your jeep, so just find wiring going to the chassis and that will tell you the color. you can poke through the wire cover and it won.t hurt anything inside, but outside it will allow corrosion to set in, so I re-seal with rtv outside. hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. I'll go see if I can figure something out as soon as I find my government-issued phone that I lost last night
Update: Found it!! Looks like I'm not going to prison for the foreseeable future lol

Originally Posted by 300kjeep
First off I must be brain dead,I cant find anywhere too click too post a question ,can someone help?
The real problem is no headlights,pull switch out nothing, except dash blinkers and highbeam light on dash come on,if I put the blinkres on with or without the light switch pulled all blinkers blink,only faster with light switch pulled, fuses good,any suggestions
Jeep is 1996 cherokeee with 309000 miles
On the OEM Page (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/), look at the top left, above the list of threads. There's a blue button that says "New Thread." That's what you want

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 09-17-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Okay, I went to home depot to pick up more butt splices, a multimeter, etc. Before I started doing anything, I realized both my passenger side speakers are out. They worked last night, worked before I left, and now just have dead noise with music playing. They're totally silent with the car completely off or if I turn off the head unit. Ideas?

EDIT: I pulled out my rear speaker and noticed I had two short segments of wire without insulation. I think they may have been contacting each other in the headliner. I taped them up, and everything works now. I don't know if that was the problem or how it would effect the front speaker, but it's all working right now. I'm off to work on my amp enclosure once Comcast answers the freaking phone

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 09-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.