Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad Thermostat

So I'm slightly overheating as of recently. I usually sit in the middle 212 line, sometimes even cooler, since I have hood vents installed. There was also a puddle of water under my XJ today. So I'm going with a bad thermo. But if you think it's something else, let me know. I'm going to look around for a replacement today and I was just wondering how the replacing is. Is it located in a pita spot? Easy fix?

180 or 195? I heard 180 is better for off roading and hot climates, but the Jeep is designed for 195. Thoughts? Is there also a brand I should avoid? Or anything I need to know?

Cheers

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 05-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

195* OEM thermostat from Jeep. I think you have an open system so you should't have water under the Jeep. It would just go into your overflow. Check the weep hole for your water pump and all coolant hoses.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I went with an OEM 195 thermostat. I always like replacing parts like that with what came from the factory. Sounds like you sprang a leak. I'd try to track that down. More than likely, it's an old, brittle hose that sprang a leak or your radiator that sprang a leak. Either the case, it's hard to say that a new thermostat will automatically fix your issue of getting to a higher temp, as there are other components in the cooling system as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

OK, I'll try and track down the leak. Could be the thermo hose too. I'll probably do a new thermo change regardless since I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before. Is running a leak sealant frowned upon?

Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Where was the puddle located? Was it toward the front, drivers side or passenger side. Knowing this would give a little better idea where it may be coming from.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

Leak sealant is cheating! You'll end up with more headaches if you cut corners.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Where was the puddle located? Was it toward the front, drivers side or passenger side. Knowing this would give a little better idea where it may be coming from.
Unfortunately I was not the one driving when this happened, but it was relayed unto me. I'll be going out tonight to find out for myself.

Originally Posted by JeepDeep
Leak sealant is cheating! You'll end up with more headaches if you cut corners.
I figured as such. But if my radiator is leaking, isn't it pretty pricey to fix? Hoses I can understand, since I would assume it's an easy/cheap fix. If it is the rad, can I use sealant with the intention of replacing it in the near future? Or does that affect other parts of the system?

Cheers
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I WIN!

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: BIG! HUGE!

Could be your radiator cap too... Isnt there a thermostat in there too?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Unfortunately I was not the one driving when this happened, but it was relayed unto me. I'll be going out tonight to find out for myself.

I figured as such. But if my radiator is leaking, isn't it pretty pricey to fix? Hoses I can understand, since I would assume it's an easy/cheap fix. If it is the rad, can I use sealant with the intention of replacing it in the near future? Or does that affect other parts of the system?

Cheers
You really don't want to any of those leak sealers. You can end up with more problems then you start out with, By causing a lot of plugging in the cooling system. If you absolutely have to use a sealer. Hopefully not for a prolong time. once you locate and repair the problem you need to completely flush the cooling system to get that crud out of there. Just let us know what you find.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Don't use leak sealers. If the radiator is leaking, replace it. An OEM style radiator is not much more than $100.

Many of those cooling system sealers clog heater cores and create other havoc on your system.

Don't be tempted. Find root cause of every cooling system leak and repair them. Every time. It's cheaper AND better in the long run.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

.......I'll probably do a new thermo change regardless since I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before......
What cooling system maintenance would u be "pretty sure" has been done?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by purplegrocerygogetter
Could be your radiator cap too... Isnt there a thermostat in there too?
Silly.

OK, I'll try and track down the leak. Could be the thermo hose too. I'll probably do a new thermo change regardless since I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before. Is running a leak sealant frowned upon?

Thanks guys
Yeah don't do that. For the reasons listed above. You'll cause yourself way too many other problems if you do that

Radiator isn't expensive. It'll run you about $100-$150 depending on where you look. I like rockauto.com for OEM parts. It's pretty easy to fix too.
And no, DON'T use any stop leak. If you put it in your radiator, it'll end up in your heater core. And you don't want to have to tackle that repair unless it's completely necessary
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
What cooling system maintenance would u be "pretty sure" has been done?
Honestly I'm going to assume everything is the way it was back when the Jeep came out in 92, since I don't really trust previous owners.

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

Yeah don't do that. For the reasons listed above. You'll cause yourself way too many other problems if you do that

Radiator isn't expensive. It'll run you about $100-$150 depending on where you look. I like rockauto.com for OEM parts. It's pretty easy to fix too.
And no, DON'T use any stop leak. If you put it in your radiator, it'll end up in your heater core. And you don't want to have to tackle that repair unless it's completely necessary

Well I replaced the thermostat with a 180 one. Temps dropped quite a bit (since I'm assuming I had an OEM 195 that was going bad/clogged). Quick, simple fix for those wondering. And I didn't notice any dripping when I arrived home.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
x2
i have a slight amount of water leaking from my ac which ive heard is normal. its got a hose for it and everything.

and if the message was just relayed to you from someone else, thenn idk if it were my car id wanna see it myself.

if you do decide to replace thermostat id go 180 for summer, but maybe switch back to 195 in winter so it can warm up faster.
but others might say different

oops didnt read last post..
oh well just my .02 cents anyways
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

A 195 stat won't make the motor warm up any faster to 180 than a 180 stat.

Quick Reply: Bad Thermostat