Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bad t-case?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default bad t-case?

Hey! I am having some trouble with my jeep, when I put it in 4wd it makes an utterly loud sound, because the front driveshaft is ... wobbling?... where it goes into the transfer case, it has a lot of wiggle room, and its not bad u-joints, it almost seems like its got some room to move around inside the t-case. What could this be from? I know its not a bad chain, are there bearings there that need to be replaced? its a 2000 4.0L manual I think t-case is 231? that seems familiar, its part time t-case. noise is annoying please help
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sure does sound like worn bearings. You might want to look for a good used 'case.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Is it worth it to consider rebuilding it? I found some rebuild kits on the internet that were all less than 200 bucks, that seems worth it? I mean it'll take a lot of time, but that would fix the problem and i'd be left with a like new transfer case.... then again a transfer case from the wreckers is about the same cost, do you have any opinions? I'm stuck
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Member

one more question- i got my clutch changed by a mechanic, and i noticed that the mounting bolts for the transfer case were farther back to what they used to be, because the mounting holes are oval shaped for some moving around, this and the fact that my jeep is lifted about 3 inches, could that pull the driveshaft forward and ruin the bearing?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM

Year: 88
Engine: i6 4.0

75$ for boneyard tcases here
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

so i took it to my mechanic and we hoisted it up and ran it, driveshaft is wobbling while driving around, and the mechanic thinks its my yoke that needs changing. Ive tried googling it but i cant find much for why a yoke would be bad, is this legit? or is my mechanic trying to screw me?I have no clue to be honest
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dilljeepo
so i took it to my mechanic and we hoisted it up and ran it, driveshaft is wobbling while driving around, and the mechanic thinks its my yoke that needs changing. Ive tried googling it but i cant find much for why a yoke would be bad, is this legit? or is my mechanic trying to screw me?I have no clue to be honest
sounds to.me like pinion bearings
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM

dont let ur mechanic rape u there easy to replace jack up remove axles remove pinion nut. pull. carrier clip knock pinion out. make sure u replace the races as well and have everything in order 5 hour job lollygagging around its not as bad as u may think ive done it
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 AM

is it on the axle.or the t case itself
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Engine: 4.0l

check your double cardon joint
Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by MountiansRcool
check your double cardon joint
i missed that one
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Seasoned Member

work has been crazy, I finally have some time tomorrow to take it apart and see what the problem is, I think im going to pull of my driveshaft and pull out my yoke, and have a spare yoke just in case. While I'm doing that I'll probably change the seal as well, will post with how it went and what the problem was
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

So after looking all over town for a yoke, I didn't find one. I decided to take it all apart anyway, My front driveshaft shook like crazy before I disassembled everything. It was an easy job just the bolts on the yoke were hard to get out because of the location. I took my driveshaft out, and sure enough my yoke was wobbly but my output shaft was not moving, so not a problem with the transfer case. YAY. I undid the 1 1/8th inch yoke retaining nut, took the yoke out, it looked fine. So I put it back on and tightened the nut (with an impact drill, because I was tired of trying to fit a wrench in there), and poof, the yoke didn't wobble anymore.

BUT before I put the nut on the yoke was wobbly, which I'm not sure is supposed to happen or not. I don't know if it's supposed to fit perfectly so it doesn't wiggle or if its supposed to be able to move side to side before the nut is put back on. Does anyone know the answer to that? Anyway I put it all back together and gave my front driveshaft a shake, and it moves far far less than before but still moved a bit, so I guess I'll probably need new u-joints down the road for cardan joint, but whatever for now the noise is gone and four wheel drive doesnt sound like I'm raping baby sparrows.

So overall I only had to spend 15 bucks on an impact socket 1 1/8th inch. And the noise I've been plagued with for the last month or so is gone.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

So just to ask again before I order a yoke from the Internet, does anyone know if the yoke should fit perfectly onto the output shaft of the transfer case? I'm trying to decide if my Nut just keeps coming loose and thats making the noise or if its the yoke because it should be fitting more securely.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Maybe ask Freedgr. I think it should be pretty solid. Isn't there a seal right there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad t-case?