Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad shake

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Bad shake

Going 60-65 mph down the highway makes the front right end of my jeep shake. Bad. Any other speed it is ok so what is a cause/fix

Also I tore it apart and everything looked alright
Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

could be a bad wheel bearing
Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I would check very carefully all the ball joint s and wheel bearings for excess wear.
Also check the brake calliper is not binding/ seized.

Stuart
Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Alignment could also cause front end vibrations and shaking if your toe in is too little. Because as you increase speed your tires naturally yet to pull away from each other.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Death wobbleeeeeee

Track bar, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, wheel balance, wheel pressure, loose lug nuts, ALIGNMENT, wheel hubs, etc. etc.

Basically, check your front end for anything loose. If everything's tight, you should start with an alignment. Then the most common causes of death wobble are worn track bar bushings and worn ball joints
Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire out of balance.

Move the offending tire to the back and see if the vibe follows it.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If it is the kind of wobble that FORCES you to brake. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you think the front end is going to disintegrate. If it is the kind of wobble that makes you soil yourself. THAT is death wobble. Here is more...
----------------------------------------------------

My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things! From my personal experience, I would first concentrate on the track bar and the control arms and associated bushings.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly