Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bad noise only in 4 wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default bad noise only in 4 wheel??

background: I live in Alaska and have it in 4 wheel A LOT!! 3 days ago I noticed a small rubbing noise so I crawled under and greased up all my fittings. next day still there and little bit louder, checked oil in front diff..full
today even worse I didn't even want to put it in 4 wheel it sounds so bad!! changed T-case fluid with no dice! still there.

I did lots of research and still don't know where to start.
the best way to describe it is like a drill bit going through metal with no lube.
only happens in 4 wheel, increases with speed and RPM's
there is NO clicking when I turn and in 2 wheel its fine (maybe a slight noise but it could be me just listening too hard)

any ideas??
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

If it does it when you are at a slow roll you could possibly walk beside it while someone else lets it idle in drive and try and track down it's origin. I had a CV joint go out on me once with no warning. I'm not sure how jeeps handle the traction, but if the rear driveshaft operates separately from the front it could be actually driving from the rear wheels and just free spinning one of the drive shafts up front. You could also check cv boots and make sure they aren't ripped. If they get a hole in them rocks and dirt can get in there and sound horrible.

I am no expert by a long stretch of the imagination, just an opinion and I don't know much about jeeps...yet.

Last edited by Chickenfloss; 01-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Yea, the front ds is suspect. Those cardon joints can't be rebuilt, I believe, so just look for a new front shaft. I got mine for 85 and as long as you don't strip any of the (12m I believe) bolts, you can do it yourself real quick.
If it doesn't make the noise in 2wd, there is a chance it may still be the front shaft. Idk, my .02.. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM

yeah its a toss up between everything up front...

I just got home from work so Im going to go brave the cold and take out the front drive shaft and see if that's the problem. I will be back with updates and more questions.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 PM

Year: 93 aka tigger R.I.P.

it could be the wheel joints or a hub bearing those were the cases in my experiences
Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Year: 1990

Or it might be your Tcase chain that stretched out too much. Mine made a horrible noise when I had it stretched out and it was rubbing against the case itself. When you changed your tcase fluid was it really metallic or anything?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sam24th
Or it might be your Tcase chain that stretched out too much. Mine made a horrible noise when I had it stretched out and it was rubbing against the case itself. When you changed your tcase fluid was it really metallic or anything?
this is my worry! Im saving it for last if nothing else works...and if I have to crack open my case I might as well put in the SYE that have been wanting

I pulled the front drive shaft and the u-joints look alright in need of replacement but not seized up. I will run to napa tomorrow and get some new ones.

If i run 4 wheel with out my drive shaft to see if my t-case makes noise it wont hurt anything will it?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

I had the problem of a thumping sound when in 4wd and my problem was the rubber mount for the t case was ripped in half where the metal
Bracket was attached to the rubber mount and the t case would hit hard with the torque of the 4wd.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bellkrank
this is my worry! Im saving it for last if nothing else works...and if I have to crack open my case I might as well put in the SYE that have been wanting

I pulled the front drive shaft and the u-joints look alright in need of replacement but not seized up. I will run to napa tomorrow and get some new ones.

If i run 4 wheel with out my drive shaft to see if my t-case makes noise it wont hurt anything will it?
Nah running without your driveshaft shouldnt hurt anything. I actually have my front one removed currently. If you remove it and put it in 4wd you might be able to tell if its your chain or not. If its bad it should still make a grinding sound. It might not be as noticeable though since theres no load on it.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Any updates in the noise issue. I live in northern Japan and my 4wd does the same thing
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM

not much has changed. Im planning on finishing up my u-joints after work today. and with a little further investigation on the DS I did notice a little ratcheting on the double joint so hopefully this will fix it.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM

holy **** what a bad few days!!!!
anyway after talking to the guy at NAPA and having him hold SPICER parts for me I ended up having to work literal 24 hours. so I get off work and run to NAPA where he hands me 3 PERCISION u-joints and im like WTF wheres the SPICER? and wheres the strap kit? he goes oh we dont have them.....and I live on an island where thats the only part store so to say the least I will be ordering everything off line, pay an arm and a leg in shipping and have to rock 2 wheel drive in the dead of Alaskan winter for the next week. thanks napa guy!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM

After settling down and a few beers later I decided to Just install the Precision u-joints and old straps. I have new straps, and Spicer u-joints on order for rear DS and wheels.

After I installed the new bearings and put the DS back up I took it for a test drive... and NO noise 4 wheel works perfect!!!

Thanks for the help guys!

here is a few links that I also found helpful:
http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...-shaft-rebuild
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/u...umbers-811929/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wha...s-9841/index2/

Also you dont need the u-joint tool I just used a big bench vise with a breaker bar and 2 sockets to act a a press. and order your parts before you tear into it!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

So you replaced the u joints with new ones and the problem was fixed. I might need to try that but I have to make it did good for you. I know what it is like to live on a island with out any decent auto stores. In japan they never have parts for my jeep so I have to order everything online. So three u joints and you were good then.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Yeah 4 wheel works great and no noises. If your going to order new u- joint online save yourself the trouble and just get ALL of them at once. 3 front DS, 2 back DS and one on each front wheel. And don't forget the strap kits! Check out the links for part numbers. I didn't get a new centering ball I just cleaned up and regreased the old one.

Quick Reply: bad noise only in 4 wheel??