Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad Mopar oil pressure sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Bad Mopar oil pressure sending unit?

Hey guys,

I had some wonky oil pressure readings going on, at idle it would drop down to zero, then up to 30ish when on the highway, so I did my homework, and ordered and installed a nice shiny new Mopar oil pressure sending unit.

It has worked fine, hovering around 40psi depending on engine speed and what not, but then all of a sudden (couple weeks after install) I noticed it's now just pegged at 80psi. Dead stop, on the freeway, no matter what, I'm at 80psi. Has my Mopar unit gone bad? After all my reading, I went with Mopar because it seemed they were the ones that didn't have problems, so I'm just worried I have some other issue now?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Go to the junkyard and get a few and test them out. I bought two from autozone and they both failed. Kept getting 0 pressure. So I ended up scooping up one from the junkyard which it worked.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BlvdKreeper
Go to the junkyard and get a few and test them out. I bought two from autozone and they both failed. Kept getting 0 pressure. So I ended up scooping up one from the junkyard which it worked.
Dang, JY... I spent a day there a while back and determined that I don't much care for that place lol. I may have to do that though.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Replace your failed MOPAR sending unit under warranty.

About the only other time they do that is if you have a direct short to ground in the oil sending unit wiring harness somewhere.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Replace your failed MOPAR sending unit under warranty.

About the only other time they do that is if you have a direct short to ground in the oil sending unit wiring harness somewhere.
So if I get a warranty replacement and the same thing happens, should I be looking at my wiring harness that leads to the sender?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scbrooks87
Hey guys,

I had some wonky oil pressure readings going on, at idle it would drop down to zero, then up to 30ish when on the highway, so I did my homework, and ordered and installed a nice shiny new Mopar oil pressure sending unit.

It has worked fine, hovering around 40psi depending on engine speed and what not, but then all of a sudden (couple weeks after install) I noticed it's now just pegged at 80psi. Dead stop, on the freeway, no matter what, I'm at 80psi. Has my Mopar unit gone bad? After all my reading, I went with Mopar because it seemed they were the ones that didn't have problems, so I'm just worried I have some other issue now?

Thanks!
Scott

That Oil Pressure Sensor lives in a pretty hostile environment.

Make sure you didn't damage it changing your oil filter.

Examine the sensor connector for damage and security.

Examine the wiring going to , and at, the connector for broken or chafed wire(s).
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
That Oil Pressure Sensor lives in a pretty hostile environment.

Make sure you didn't damage it changing your oil filter.

Examine the sensor connector for damage and security.

Examine the wiring going to , and at, the connector for broken or chafed wire(s).
Thanks CCKen! I'll check all of that. I just bought the Jeep not too long ago. When I did my oil change (among a bundle of other maintenance items), I replaced the sender at the same time, so it went in after the filter change happened. I'll check on the wires though, because that is a definite possibility. I figure I can also put a bit of dielectric grease in the connection to be sure that's getting good contact.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scbrooks87
Thanks CCKen! I'll check all of that. I just bought the Jeep not too long ago. When I did my oil change (among a bundle of other maintenance items), I replaced the sender at the same time, so it went in after the filter change happened. I'll check on the wires though, because that is a definite possibility. I figure I can also put a bit of dielectric grease in the connection to be sure that's getting good contact.

DO NOT use dielectric grease on any pin connector. Just look for corrosion on the pins and pin cavities then wash out using CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

Edit: If you still have oil pressure indications you don't like, start the engine and have a helper sit in the cabin eyeballing the OP gauge while you wiggle the wire harness to the OPS - see if it jumps around.

Last edited by CCKen; 04-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
DO NOT use dielectric grease on any pin connector. Just look for corrosion on the pins and pin cavities then wash out using CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.
Noted. Will scratch that idea. I have the electronic cleaner as well, so I'll give that a shot in addition to inspecting the wires.