Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad Ball Joints?

I've had my Jeep for over 2 years now, and have not replaced the ball joints, and I have no idea when they were replaced last either. I had 31s, but moved up to 33s over a year ago, and I've had spacers on and off (on again now) since then. I'm currently trying to fix a steering issue that I'm getting. I have quite a bit of play in the steering wheel, but I also have to essentially keep turning the wheel left and right to keep the vehicle going straight. I also just fixed a death wobble issue, which I'm not too sure what caused it. But it only happened when hitting bumps on the highway. I tightened everything up and upgraded my drag link and it seems to be fine now though..

Should I just replace my ball joints regardless? Or might they be fine?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
I've had my Jeep for over 2 years now, and have not replaced the ball joints, and I have no idea when they were replaced last either. I had 31s, but moved up to 33s over a year ago, and I've had spacers on and off (on again now) since then. I'm currently trying to fix a steering issue that I'm getting. I have quite a bit of play in the steering wheel, but I also have to essentially keep turning the wheel left and right to keep the vehicle going straight. I also just fixed a death wobble issue, which I'm not too sure what caused it. But it only happened when hitting bumps on the highway. I tightened everything up and upgraded my drag link and it seems to be fine now though..

Should I just replace my ball joints regardless? Or might they be fine?
The play in the steering wheel isn't from balljoint play. Its from either worn steering linkage, loose steering box, worn pittman arm or shaft bearings. But the first thing you should check is see if the pitman arm shaft turns with minimal steering wheel movement. If you have to turn the wheel more than an inch without the pittman shaft turning then you should adjust your steering box. Balljoints can cause it slightly but the amount of play they would have would definitely make noise and will have very noticable play. I personally replaced all of mine with Moog uppers and lowers just mostly for preventative maintenance.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by JJCIII
The play in the steering wheel isn't from balljoint play. Its from either worn steering linkage, loose steering box, worn pittman arm or shaft bearings. But the first thing you should check is see if the pitman arm shaft turns with minimal steering wheel movement. If you have to turn the wheel more than an inch without the pittman shaft turning then you should adjust your steering box. Balljoints can cause it slightly but the amount of play they would have would definitely make noise and will have very noticable play. I personally replaced all of mine with Moog uppers and lowers just mostly for preventative maintenance.
Would it be worth it to get a new/refurb steering box? Or is having it tightened worth it? I'll check out the pitman arm as well.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

It never hurts to get a new one but adjusting the steering box is very easy provided there isn't crazy amounts of rust on the box. Look for a nut on top of the box with an allen head adjuster. Basically loosen the nut and tighten the shaft using the allen adjuster that's within that locknut. Youtube jeep steering box adjustment for a good visual. Be sure to only adjust an 1/8 turn at a time because its easy to over tighten...over tightening causes binding in the box and can destroy it.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L H/O

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Would it be worth it to get a new/refurb steering box? Or is having it tightened worth it? I'll check out the pitman arm as well.

Thanks
I tightened my steering box without removing it from my jeep. You have to pull the electric fan which is pretty simple. That gives you access to the gear backlash adjustment. I used this as a guide:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by I ARE EL1TE

I tightened my steering box without removing it from my jeep. You have to pull the electric fan which is pretty simple. That gives you access to the gear backlash adjustment. I used this as a guide:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAD0ugRQNek
Yea I forgot to mention this can all be done in vehicle with out worry of being jeepless for the day