Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bad bad news need your help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default bad bad news need your help!!

So heres the deal. My jeep needed new axles but at the time i didnt have the parts or money but I finally got put on today. I also put on new break pads and rotors and while doing the last set of brake pads I realized the the brake fluid was leaking. Also the eep was dead so I had a buddy jump it but it wouldnt idle and even after jumping it and reving for a couple of minutes it still was not starting or idling when running. What is going on? Please help.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

brake fluid leak, check all lines and your calipers. where is the area it's coming from? fluid follows gravity downward, so it's only gonna be wet from the point of leaking, right! did you pinch a line when the calipers were off? as for the no start, start at the easy stuff, battery/cables. cables secure? turn your headlights on, anything working? wiggle the post connectors, any corrosion? battery got any life in it? follow the cables to the ground and to the starter, are they tight? check these few easy areas first.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 PM

the brake fluid seems to be overflowing from the container where you put it in. How can I tell if the battery has no more life in it? Would time alone run the life out of a battery? None of the lights, locks, or it wont even attemt to start until I have another car hooked up to it.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

when you press the piston back into the caliper, the fluid will go back into the master cylinder, this is normal. it may just be over full. did you add fluid AT ANY TIME to the master cylinder before doing the brakes?

do you have a volt meter? check the charge that way, should be around 12 volts, give or take a bit. do you have a spare battery? try swapping in another one if possible and try starting it, if it starts.......dead battery, then check your volt meter in the cab. if no start, check s the easest first, cables,connections, etc.

hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM

I diddnt put any fluin in. should the breaks usually work if the car isnt on? No i dont have a voltmeter but I do have an extera battery. I appreciate all the help.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:44 PM

also If the battery was dead, would it try to turn over? Because when I am not hooked up to another vehicle, not a thing happens when I turn the key. I am still really confused about the breaks too. I just put new rotors and break pads on and when in neutral, the breaks do not do a thing, even just applying pressure, the pedal hardly moves. One more question, what would keep the truck from idling?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91

i think your batterie is done replace it, a dirty fuel system will keep it from idling replace filter clean carb/throttle body replace air filter make sure all connections for your brakes are good and tight bleed the system starting at the furthest point from the master cylinder
Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace your battery.

The JTEC PCM (engine control unit) holds the memory for idle-speed... when the battery dies, that memory is lost. When you start it, give a little throttle after it starts to keep it running. Let it down slowly until it idles. The JTEC will learn again.

Is the brake fluid leaking from the top of the reservoir or the bottom???
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

It is bleeding from the top. when I juped it yesterday I reved it for a while when ever I would stop it just died.