Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Back up Cam how to

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Cool Back up Cam how to

Hi folks, I have a old 1991 XJ that is my daily driver. I am adding a new stereo that has a 4 inch screen and I can add a back up cam to it. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if there is a wire in the dash that has 12 volts on it only when in reverse. OH I might add it is a manual tranny. I know I can run a wire all the way back to the back up light, but if someone knows of a 12 volt reverse sourse up front that will same me a ton of work. if I can find that wire then I can go wireless but if not I'll have to run the long wire from the back to the front. ALSO if someone has tips on how to get the wires from the rear hatch where the cam will be mounted to the tail light and to the front of the car that would be helpfull also. Thank you all in advance and I hope to hear something soon.

thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Usually the source wire is needed to power the camera itself so use the reverse light. Its right there.

If you pop off the first trim piece under the hatch hinges you can see where the wires go into the door.
After that you can run the video feed under the trim all the way forward.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.

thanks for that, I know I can use a wire from the backup light but I was looking for a wire like behind a kick panel or fuse box that goes hot only in reverse. I did get the rear cam all done today and it looks and works good( at least the blue light on the transmitter comes on in reverse) so now I just need to find the a good trigger wire up front somewhere to trigger the stereo display to switch when I go to reverse. at least the hard part is done. still looking for a hot wire in reverse somewhere up front. thanks