Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Baaaaad week. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, Automatic
Default Baaaaad week. Need help!

Ok, so.. I buy the Jeep last week. With the new lift just installed (Rough Country 6.5") and tires just put on (33" MTZs) I hit the trails. Impressed with the fact that the Cherokee can go almost anywhere with power to boot, I'm in love and very happy with my purchase(s). This hasn't changed. I'm just a bit... flustered.

Half way through our adventure, I become the "Point Man" in our trail riding. I find the trails and hit the holes before the other guys. All is well until my spotter makes a bad judgement call and I hit a hole that I think is about 3 foot. It turns into a hole that creeps halfway up the door on my passengers side. I'm stuck...

A few minutes later, I'm pulled out of the hole and we continue on our way. All is well yet again, until the "CHECK GUAGE" light turns on and I notice my AMP meter is at 0. A buddy of mine instructs me to "reset" it by turning the vehicle off and then starting it back up. However, upon doing this, the guage reads at "25%" for a moment and then drops back down to zero.

We'll fast forward past me having to replace the alternator onto todays activities...

Today a buddy and I hit the trials once again. Me in my XJ and him in his Ranger, which instantly begins having issues with its 4wd. We can joke all we want about how he "should have bought a Jeep" (which I did) but it sucked, none the less. After him getting stuck and myself along with a few other Cherokees blasing a safe trail for him to get out of, I begin to notice a sound. A sound that resembles that of metal on metal. I decide to call it a day and drive home while my buddy crutches his way home in his Danger Ranger.

Upon arriving at home, I notice that the drivers side inner rotor "cover" (Forgive me, as I'm not sure what it's called) is bent inward, towards the motor. I fix this, and this solves the metal on metal. Next, as I'm in reverse I hear what I can only describe as a loud "clicking" prior to the axle locking up/resisting for a moment before releasing and a "thud" which follows. This is the issue that has me scratching my head and going bonkers! It doesn't do it everytime and seems to only do it at a slightly faster reverse. Either way, I'd like to address the issue ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

at 6.5" of lift do you have a sye? Sounds like a ujoint issue on a stock ds to me...if you don't have an sye I would bet it's your ujoints and would say to start looking into one (sye) and if you do happen to have one, check the joint setup on there (i forget the tech term for it on the different shaft style)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by storm101
at 6.5" of lift do you have a sye? Sounds like a ujoint issue on a stock ds to me...if you don't have an sye I would bet it's your ujoints and would say to start looking into one (sye) and if you do happen to have one, check the joint setup on there (i forget the tech term for it on the different shaft style)
I'm not sure if I do or not. I will check and then go from there if that is the issue. Any recommended brands? Looks like they're semi-pricy. But, ya gotta pay to pay, right?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

hack and tap RE was a nice and simple install when I did it on a friends 97
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

It sounds like a driveshaft U-joint to me, but you may want to pull both differential covers to inspect the ring and pinion. When was the last time you changed diff fluid?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by firstime00XJ
It sounds like a driveshaft U-joint to me, but you may want to pull both differential covers to inspect the ring and pinion. When was the last time you changed diff fluid?
Just purchased the Jeep, but will def. be looking into it in a couple of hours. I'm hoping it's something as simple as the U-Joint or SYE. The problem is going to be finding one that is available quickly and isn't crazy expensive. I'll let you guys know! Thanks for the help and advice so far!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by 8404
Just purchased the Jeep, but will def. be looking into it in a couple of hours. I'm hoping it's something as simple as the U-Joint or SYE. The problem is going to be finding one that is available quickly and isn't crazy expensive. I'll let you guys know! Thanks for the help and advice so far!

Sounds like ring and pinion to me. Does it "whine" in reverse? Could be drive line binding but i know my YJ did that one after being in alot of water and it was the diff fluid was all watery. Pull the cover clean it all out and refill, dont just drain it if it appears milky take the cover off and clean it really well before you refill. if it is the driveshaft binding an SYE and CV driveshaft you are looking at a little less than $600 shipped to you.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM

I got underneath the Jeep today and came to the conclusion, that with the front drive shafts massive amount of play that it was probably related to the front axle joints being shot. I'm saying this due to thee amount of play in both sides. Does that sound right? As in... Would it contribute to the sounds, etc?

Last edited by 8404; 09-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 PM

...anyone? I apologize if this is against the "double post" or "same day post" rule. I'm desperate here! It wont happen again after today. I promise. Haha.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Well, you have to fix the front axle ujoints anyway, do them and see if the problem goes away. If not...I liked the SYE/driveshaft ujoint answers above.