Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ba10/5 tranny filler/grain plug question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ba10/5 tranny filler/grain plug question.

Hey guys,Well today I decided to do my tranny change but was a complete PITA.
I have the peugot and to take out the drainage plug you needed a special tool. Its a square hole so a 3/8 adapter would of been perfect but was too big, and the 1/4 was too small.Went everywhere and couldnt find it, so did some research and found this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/

I grinded an adapter which was time consuming and finally took the plugs out, both. Now so I wont go through this again Im trying to find some generic plugs that have hex heads to make my life easier next time.But again i went everywhere and could not find them, autozone, orielleys, pepboys, and home depot. They couldnt even gauge it.

So I wanna know if anyone has an idea where i can get new ones, or know the gauge.I was thinking about welding a nut on top of the old ones but idk if the heat will warp the threads. Any help please chime in thanks.

Last edited by studmuffin; 05-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by studmuffin
Hey guys,Well today I decided to do my tranny change but was a complete PITA.
I have the peugot and to take out the drainage plug you needed a special tool. Its a square hole so a 3/8 adapter would of been perfect but was too big, and the 1/4 was too small.Went everywhere and couldnt find it, so did some research and found this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/

I grinded an adapter which was time consuming and finally took the plugs out, both. Now so I wont go through this again Im trying to find some generic plugs that have hex heads to make my life easier next time.But again i went everywhere and could not find them, autozone, orielleys, pepboys, and home depot. They couldnt even gauge it.

So I wanna know if anyone has an idea where i can get new ones, or know the gauge.I was thinking about welding a nut on top of the old ones but idk if the heat will warp the threads. Any help please chime in thanks.
I'm not sure what the thread callout on those is - you don't have a metric caliper? Nominal outside diameter and thread pitch are all you need (I probably threw all of the plugs away from the four Peugeot gearboxes I've had, without bothering to check.)

But - I've covered this little tidbit plenty of times - the drive recess in the Peugeot is an 8m/m square - which may be made quickly and easily using a 5/16" or 8m/m cheap hex key. Takes about two minutes with a grinder - you just knock down opposite corners until the end of the key will fit into the drive recess. Grind back a half-inch or so.