Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

axle shafts interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)
Default axle shafts interchangeable?

Can the axle shafts in an 8.25 be swapped from side to side or are they side specific? I am still having a few minor issues with my locker and was wondering if it might be the axle shafts causing them.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The shafts are equal length.

What locker?
What issues are you having?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

It is an Aussie Locker,

Long story. I first got the locker back over the summer. Installed it the same time I did the lift and gears as well as SYE and rear disc conversion. When I installed it it was popping real bad almost like it was in a bind. Every time it would do this my Jeep would pull real bad to the right and it seemed to do it more in right hand turns than left. I called Aussie and after tons of trouble shooting they recommended flipping the locker 180 degrees and trying it then, to see if it was a problem with the locker or my axle. Well, when I did this the popping stopped and it acted normal.

Fast forward a few months and I was at Harlan Ky wheeling and heard a loud (gunshot loud) bang after that the locker would not hold a load. I managed to drive home partially using 4wd and immediately took the locker apart to find a spacer cup broken (see build page). Called Aussie and they sent a new one. I installed the new one and took it for a test drive only for the "pop" to return and this time it didn't matter what direction I turned or if I was even turning it would just randomly ratchet and violently. Called Aussie back, they had me re-check all clearances. Clearance between center pin and axle gears was .017 and .018 (little on the high side but within spec) overall gap between cam gears was .156 (If I remember correctly) again within spec. So, finally they had me check the hardness of the center pin. It checked okay.

After a few more weeks they sent me a new locker. I installed it the other day along with thicker washers that now make the center pin to axle gear clearance .008 and .009 which is much better. The over all gap between cam gears is .134, which is low but again I called Aussie and he said it would be okay but the ratcheting might be a little more "stiff" feeling. So performed wheel spin test everything worked great. Put the cover on added oil took it for a drive and the pop is back. Now, the pop is back but it is %95 percent better than it was originally! However it is still doing it and it still causes my Jeep to pull right. So I am thinking about swapping axle shafts from left to right (as an "I am out of ideas" solution) and see if that makes a difference.

The popping has returned to only occurring in right hand turns/curves and under throttle. If I coast around a turn it is fine. Some times it will do in the straight coming out of a turn but only if it was previously a right hander. Also it doesn't matter the speed it will do it on the hwy or in a parking lot, forward or reverse (more in forward though).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I have checked tire pressure more times than I care to and they are always even at 35 and 35. I have checked the hardness of the center pin and it is okay. I have checked to make sure that my brakes aren't dragging or that I have a sticky caliper.