Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Axle nut anti-seize

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Axle nut anti-seize

I'm going to be taking off the front hubs soon and am wondering what torque I need the axle nut to be if I'm going to use permatex anti-seize on the threads. I've read where people say that you basically divide the torque by half when you use it but I'd be worried constantly that the thing would come loose.
I smear most of the bolts on the jeep with a good amount of anti-seize and don't worry about it, but this nut is a pretty critical part. I guess this could go with lug nut studs too because I smeared those with anti-seize but they haven't budged with 100 ft/lb of torque. Or maybe I have them over torqued with 100 ft/lb and anti-seize. As I said I found a couple posts stating it is basically half but I'd be scared of endangering myself or others and especially the vehicular unit! Thanks for any input, this forum tremendously helps me understand and learn how to work on a car.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would torque them to the recommended spec..., which if I recall correctly was 175ftlb on my Jeep, but confirming with a FSM or another member here is certainly a good idea. That nut has a locking "nut cover" with a cotter pin to secure it so it doesn't come off.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Dfread
I'm going to be taking off the front hubs soon and am wondering what torque I need the axle nut to be if I'm going to use permatex anti-seize on the threads. I've read where people say that you basically divide the torque by half when you use it but I'd be worried constantly that the thing would come loose.
I smear most of the bolts on the jeep with a good amount of anti-seize and don't worry about it, but this nut is a pretty critical part. I guess this could go with lug nut studs too because I smeared those with anti-seize but they haven't budged with 100 ft/lb of torque. Or maybe I have them over torqued with 100 ft/lb and anti-seize. As I said I found a couple posts stating it is basically half but I'd be scared of endangering myself or others and especially the vehicular unit! Thanks for any input, this forum tremendously helps me understand and learn how to work on a car.
Yes, you would be endangering yourself and others by using anti-seize.

Do not use anti-seize on the Hub nuts or the wheel lug nuts.

The torque on the Hub nut is 175 ft/lbs. The factory service manual does not say to use grease, oil, or anti-seize on the Hub nuts. It's a dry torque application.

100 to 115 ft/lbs on the lug nuts is fine. The factory service manual specificlly states not to use grease, oil, or anti-seize on the lug nuts. It's a dry torque application.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Yep 175 lbs. And i'd recommend getting some new pins for the retainer too, they'll probably break when you take them out.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Everything on my Jeep gets anti-seize if i can get it on there. Including my hub nuts.

Replaced them 10k miles ago, with anti-sieze and a torque of 115 ft/lbs and never looked back. After what I went through to get them off, I'm still feeling a tinge in my back from pulling and banging.....

I did check them 2 weeks ago while I had the brakes off for longer hoses, and they are still at 115 ft/lbs exactly.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

Originally Posted by ThatAintStock00
Everything on my Jeep gets anti-seize if i can get it on there. Including my hub nuts.

Replaced them 10k miles ago, with anti-sieze and a torque of 115 ft/lbs and never looked back. After what I went through to get them off, I'm still feeling a tinge in my back from pulling and banging.....

I did check them 2 weeks ago while I had the brakes off for longer hoses, and they are still at 115 ft/lbs exactly.
I too use anti seize on everything I take apart on my jeep. I used it on my hubs too.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

"I too use anti seize on everything I take apart on my jeep. I used it on my hubs too."

God help us!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM

Yep Help us that have to listen to the rest of you whine about rusted together parts.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
"I too use anti seize on everything I take apart on my jeep. I used it on my hubs too."

God help us!
It seems we have a conflict here. I'm leaning towards using anti-seize and 175 ft/lb (possibly a little less like 170 or 165). After some research it seems that there is a debate in this of yes or no but I have yet to see or read actual evidence that you should not anti-seize it, and that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Would be great if some more people could add real life scenarios of something exploding or what-not. Or if it just makes removal easy.

Last edited by Dfread; 04-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Don't worry about over tightening that nut... you aren't going to do anything to it. Slather it then put the cap and pin on then forget about it
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Over 45 years ago my father who worked at a Nuclear power plant brought home a squeeze bottle of some stuff he called Never seize. Man you'd think that stuff was Crack Cocaine the way I've been going through that stuff since then. I've used it on EVERYTHING. Bicycles Motorcycles Stock cars drag cars customers cars my cars and military vehicles (who by the way DEMANDED it be used).
I have always torqued at half or a little more and have NEVER had a failure from something coming loose. I've had the component fail but never come loose. And as anyone who has had to replace something much sooner than you thought you'd have to, I'm glad I used the stuff. The only place I DO NOT use it is head bolts and Ubolts.
BTW I still have that squeeze bottle AND it's cap. Thanks Dad.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM

I build equipment that cost millions of dollars , one company we build for specs stainless fasteners you always use anti seize on stainless.
Company policy dictates/demands I assemble all nuts and bolts or other thread fastening devices with anti seize.
I have 2 huge bottles of the stuff at my shop one is the grey one is the copper.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

When you get around to it (if you haven't already) make sure you slather it on the flexplate to crank flange bolts and on the bell housing to engine bolts.

Good luck OP.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

I don't know where you guys live but in new England if you don't use anti-seize good luck ever getting things apart again. especially 20 year old bolts on an xj. just check the bolts every once in awhile if you're worried..... I've never had a problem with them coming loose.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKen
When you get around to it (if you haven't already) make sure you slather it on the flexplate to crank flange bolts and on the bell housing to engine bolts.

Good luck OP.
Now you're just being petty. Some of us disagree with you. Probably just as many agree with you.
The OP asked for opinions and we gave him ours just like you did yours.
It's up to him to decide which information to use to guide him.

Quick Reply: Axle nut anti-seize