Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AX-15 squealing help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AX-15 squealing help!

Ok I have a '96 five speed with 186k miles. I noticed earlier today that there was a squealing coming from below me. At first I thought nothing of it really, but then noticed the severity. This afternoon, if I pressed the clutch very lightly, the squeal would stop. Now, however, it does it all the time, and gets really loud if I press in the clutch pedal.

Now, here's what confused me. I thought it was the throw out bearing until I went to go into first and I practically needed a sledgehammer to get there. It was really tough. I just replaced the transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 about three weeks ago. Anyway, do you all think it's the throw out bearing or could it be something else?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Engine: 4.0L

either something is caught up in the bell housing or your throwout bearing is going out, or you have a leak at the slave. Have you ever replaced the slave cylinder?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sandfish88
either something is caught up in the bell housing or your throwout bearing is going out, or you have a leak at the slave. Have you ever replaced the slave cylinder?
I haven't. I don't know if it's been replaced, I just bought it two months ago. How can I determine which is the root of the issue? It isn't my DD so it isn't imperative that it's fixed today. It's in my garage right now.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MD XJ
I haven't. I don't know if it's been replaced, I just bought it two months ago. How can I determine which is the root of the issue? It isn't my DD so it isn't imperative that it's fixed today. It's in my garage right now.
is the pressure on the clutch good? (firm when you push down?)

first thing to do, is get under there and look for leaks. My first xj's rear main seal leaked, blowing all the oil onto the trans's bellhousing plate and eventually ruined my clutch.

second the slave can leak (mine was an inside the bell housing slave(not fun to replace) hopefully urs is outside. So look at the bottom of the bell housing where the trans meets the engine, where its closest to the road.

if its dry, then your clutch disk is probably ok.

Have you heard any nasty snapping sounds lately? the fingers of the pressure plate can break and become lodged in between things.

and third, the throwout bearing may be slightly out of place, or just worn out. take it to have the clutch serviced when you get the money.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sandfish88
is the pressure on the clutch good? (firm when you push down?)

first thing to do, is get under there and look for leaks. My first xj's rear main seal leaked, blowing all the oil onto the trans's bellhousing plate and eventually ruined my clutch.

second the slave can leak (mine was an inside the bell housing slave(not fun to replace) hopefully urs is outside. So look at the bottom of the bell housing where the trans meets the engine, where its closest to the road.

if its dry, then your clutch disk is probably ok.

Have you heard any nasty snapping sounds lately? the fingers of the pressure plate can break and become lodged in between things.

and third, the throwout bearing may be slightly out of place, or just worn out. take it to have the clutch serviced when you get the money.
Finally got some time last night to crawl under it. No leaks on the transmission. If I need a new throwout bearing, can I still pass inspection? It doesn't hurt the drivability yet, it's just supremely loud.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by MD XJ
Finally got some time last night to crawl under it. No leaks on the transmission. If I need a new throwout bearing, can I still pass inspection? It doesn't hurt the drivability yet, it's just supremely loud.
inspection? where the hell do YOU live lol. Smog test, they dont give a ****, but like the DMV inspector? i dont know. you should be ok.