Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 transmission has different harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy AW4 transmission has different harness?

I just bought a new AW4 30-43LE tranny from Quadratec for my wifes 99 Cherokee. The harness on it has different connectors than what the original one does that I just took out. The tag on the original tranny is blue and says model 30-43LE and also has the number 52104210AB plus the SER.# and the new one is green and says 30-43LE and also has the number 4810179 plus the serial # does this make any difference. Can I make this tranny work. Did I get the wrong one?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

Should be the right one, 1987–2001: Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatic, used with 4.0 L I6

Hmmmm.....
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

There were 3 or 4 variations of the AW4 from 1987-2001, and they aren't interchangeable. I think the post 1997 AW4s had a 2nd VSS. You should call Quadratec. AFAIK the new trans that were available were of the leftover 1996 variety.

Last edited by excess650; 07-23-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 PM

What is AFAIK, and 2nd VSS? The only visible difference I noticed besides the different connectors is that there is one less sensor on the new tranny. Not sure what it is, it is just behind the bell housing on the driver side. It is a blue piece of plastic with a connector that goes into the side of the transmission. I pulled it out and it has a o ring around it and a little metal flat on the end about an 1/8" in dia. and maybe 1/16" tall. On the new tranny it looks like the spot is there for it but it hasnt been drilled through, there is the tapped hole to secure it though. I will call Quadratec about this but cant until Monday, tried today but they closed at 5:00 pm and theyre not open on Sunday.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

AFAIK- As far as I know

2nd VSS- second vehicle speed sensor.

<-smiley cause I felt like it

As far as the tranny problem goes I have no clue only trans I messed with is one from an 89 and a 90.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"The tag on the original tranny is blue"

Probably no need to call, except if you want to return it;

From the Quadratec website:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52160_1100.htm

1. Original transmission must have a green tag on the passenger side of the tailshaft that reads 30-43LE
Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Quadratec should change their descriptinon of which XJs that trans fits. While it will fit a 1997 with some rewiring of the harness, it has no provision for the 2nd VSS vehicle speed sensor, so won't work in 1998-2001.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by akaddict
What is AFAIK, and 2nd VSS? The only visible difference I noticed besides the different connectors is that there is one less sensor on the new tranny. Not sure what it is, it is just behind the bell housing on the driver side. It is a blue piece of plastic with a connector that goes into the side of the transmission. I pulled it out and it has a o ring around it and a little metal flat on the end about an 1/8" in dia. and maybe 1/16" tall. On the new tranny it looks like the spot is there for it but it hasnt been drilled through, there is the tapped hole to secure it though. I will call Quadratec about this but cant until Monday, tried today but they closed at 5:00 pm and theyre not open on Sunday.

The hole i think your looking at is for the crankshaft position sensor. upper driver side of the bellhousing that takes its own connector.

You can always call quadratect and ask them EXACTLY what you have ordered and how to deal with the dufferent year scenerio -ALSO you can go down to your local trans shop and pik some brains.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Ok, thanks guys! I will call Quadratec tomorrow and see what they can do. I do think they could have had a better description of what xjs the trans fits, or broken the tag down a little further. When I talked to the salesman on the phone he said to verify it had 30-43 LE on the tag, he didnt stress that the tag had to be a certain color or ask for any other numbers. This is my wifes primary vehicle so this really sucks! I called around and it doesnt look like I can get a reman any sooner than 2-3 days at best and NAPA couldnt tell me for sure until Monday. Oreilly said 5-7 days but had to verify with corporate, and Advance said they can only get manuals for it.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM

Called Quadratec Monday. They said they couldnt do anything but let me return it and that I would have to eat the shipping which they said they could do through there shippers to try and save me some cash. Shipping is $120 if I ship it from a buisness and $190 if I ship it from my house. They didnt have the right transmission to swap out so I am having mine rebuilt. They said since I bought it online and the description read that the transmission must have a green tag with 30-43LE on it that they were not responsible for the return shipping charges. The problem is I called and talked to a salesman before placing the order and he said as long as the tag said 30-43LE I should be ok,that somtimes the color is even gone, I called because I thought the color probably wouldnt matter but I wanted to make shure. Usually anytime I have worked on something I have only had to go by a model #, color never mattered, but I guess in this situation it does. I would think they could word the ad differently and stress that it wont work if the tag isnt green. Since I spoke with them they added some text in bold. They told me they have ran into this before. It really pisses me off! Its pretty damn depressing, and a lot of dicking around and wasted time. I guess Im just a dumb ***!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You have to remember where Jeeps came from:
All
Makes
Combined
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by akaddict
Called Quadratec Monday. They said they couldnt do anything but let me return it and that I would have to eat the shipping which they said they could do through there shippers to try and save me some cash. Shipping is $120 if I ship it from a buisness and $190 if I ship it from my house. They didnt have the right transmission to swap out so I am having mine rebuilt. They said since I bought it online and the description read that the transmission must have a green tag with 30-43LE on it that they were not responsible for the return shipping charges. The problem is I called and talked to a salesman before placing the order and he said as long as the tag said 30-43LE I should be ok,that somtimes the color is even gone, I called because I thought the color probably wouldnt matter but I wanted to make shure. Usually anytime I have worked on something I have only had to go by a model #, color never mattered, but I guess in this situation it does. I would think they could word the ad differently and stress that it wont work if the tag isnt green. Since I spoke with them they added some text in bold. They told me they have ran into this before. It really pisses me off! Its pretty damn depressing, and a lot of dicking around and wasted time. I guess Im just a dumb ***!
Since ur having the old one rebuilt u could ask if there is anything u can do to make it a tougher trans - such as adding more clutches to the drums or any other heavy duty parts. Most trans places usually have extra everything laying around.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM

I don't think that you're the dumba$$ if you called and talked to them. They should know what years their trans fits, and it SHOULD STATE SPECIFICALLY in their description. It would SUCK to pay shipping on the trans both ways because of THEIR mistake.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Year: 1998

honestly I believe I would call them again and say I want to talk to a supervisor or someone higher in the chain. Because If I talked to a sales agent before ordering and he said this one will work its what you need and turns out it is not. I feel like that is their fault and they should be held responsible for shipping. I mean its one thing if you bought it and made a mistake but you called to confirm its what you needed and told it was.