Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default AW4 Trans

Im in the process of deciding whether or not to rebuild or buy new/referbed AW4 for my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 4x4.

My trans now is running fine. I took it out because I believe the trans seal in between the TC was faulty. I had a mixed leak coming from under the bellhousing, behind the inspection plate. I was going to replace that, and while I was at it, replace the rear main seal as well. Ive already rebuilt the oil elbow adapter with new seals and no oil is being leaked from the valve body. So I assume rear main.

My trans now has 180,xxx or so on it. Although, I havent had any issues with it thus far, I am looking to make my boy, Ragnar, a daily driver, as well as a little fun off the roads. I'm not doing any huge crawling or anything, so Im not putting a lot of strain of the trans.

couple questions:

1. Is it worth getting a new one/rebuild?
2. Best place to get one if I choose too?
3. I have been told that without opening up my old trans and inspecting the inside, the trans guy wouldn't know if actual components of the trans would have to be replaced, other than seals, etc. He said something about one of the crucial component that is most common to have wear would itself cost $900. I kinda doubt thats true, but then again, I dont know really anything when it comes to the interior of a trans.

I found a AW4 used, but referbed from this site. If you goes know anything about it, let me know.

http://www.carmonkeys.com/2000-JEEP-...xoCiBgQAvD_BwE

So just through some info my way and some good ideas if ya got any! Thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Fix the leak and run it.

The AW4 is probably the most robust trans on the planet.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Fix the leak and run it.

The AW4 is probably the most robust trans on the planet.

This is is what I like to hear, Cruiser54!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

285k on mine, and it was abused, and a completely lost cause with black fluid and slipping badly as soon as it got warmed up.

I replaced the trans fluid and it was fine. That was more than 50,000 miles ago (er wuz it 100k?) and I tow heavy loads pretty regularly. So far, so good.