Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

aw4 rear trans seal im tired of replacing it

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default aw4 rear trans seal im tired of replacing it

so i have replaced my aw4 rear trans seal 4 times since i owned my jeep, seems like everytime i go offroading it starts leaking again..

is there something i can do to make sure it wont leak....

also im kind of wanting to convert my jeep to 5 speed and 4x4 im not sure if its worth all the effort or just sell mine and buy a 4x4 but i have alot of money in mine in replacement parts, pretty much everything is new except motor and trans
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 HO

Do you have any vibrations coming from the rear DS? Possibly the U-joint or DS may be bent causing the seal to fail or even a bad trans mount is possible.
I would get a 4x4 and do the conversion to yours or from yours to the new one's parts. JMO. Good luck...Tj
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM

mines a 96 and it has 227k on it, and the engine runs great i would like to keep my jeep since i have the gray interior and source out a 5 speed trans and all the 4wd stuff i need but idk, i have some vibrations on the freeway but only at certain speeds which leads me to believe my tires need to be balanced they are 31x10.5 on stock 15 inch rims

i want to get a locker in the rear and maybe be good i dont really do too much rock crawling but i do go wheeling and havent really had any problems yet but i did get stuck the other day trying to go up this hill then when backing down my rear end slid down the side of a small hill and i almost got out but had 1 wheel spinning the whole time but i got pulled out by another 2wd jeep with a aussie locker...

im stuck i cant really cant decide if i want 4wd or just get 5speed and a aussie locker in the back for now and see how i do....

i like my auto but i cant stand it leaking, and im also having a problem on the freeway when cruising 70 it will be at 2k rpms then all of a sudden it will jerk and go up to 2500 rpms and stay there till i give it gas then it will go back down to 2000 but when i let off the gas it jerks and goes back up to 2500...

i know i sound super undecided but idk what to do everyone tells me to go 4wd and everyone else tells me to get a locker in the back and show the 4wd guys i can keep up lol
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by 96blackxj
mines a 96 and it has 227k on it, and the engine runs great i would like to keep my jeep since i have the gray interior and source out a 5 speed trans and all the 4wd stuff i need but idk, i have some vibrations on the freeway but only at certain speeds which leads me to believe my tires need to be balanced they are 31x10.5 on stock 15 inch rims

i want to get a locker in the rear and maybe be good i dont really do too much rock crawling but i do go wheeling and havent really had any problems yet but i did get stuck the other day trying to go up this hill then when backing down my rear end slid down the side of a small hill and i almost got out but had 1 wheel spinning the whole time but i got pulled out by another 2wd jeep with a aussie locker...

im stuck i cant really cant decide if i want 4wd or just get 5speed and a aussie locker in the back for now and see how i do....

i like my auto but i cant stand it leaking, and im also having a problem on the freeway when cruising 70 it will be at 2k rpms then all of a sudden it will jerk and go up to 2500 rpms and stay there till i give it gas then it will go back down to 2000 but when i let off the gas it jerks and goes back up to 2500...

i know i sound super undecided but idk what to do everyone tells me to go 4wd and everyone else tells me to get a locker in the back and show the 4wd guys i can keep up lol

It sounds like the extension housing bushing is worn out, the bushing controls 90% of the oil and the seal only returns the oil that leaks past the bushing.

I would also replace the TPS, at the millage you have it would be the logical place to start to stop the trans from reving.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by repair
It sounds like the extension housing bushing is worn out, the bushing controls 90% of the oil and the seal only returns the oil that leaks past the bushing.

I would also replace the TPS, at the millage you have it would be the logical place to start to stop the trans from reving.
will do to replace both in a few days when i get some extra cash and ill report the results
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 96blackxj
will do to replace both in a few days when i get some extra cash and ill report the results
I'm having the same problem. Were you able to solve the problem and stop the leak? Let us know how it turned out.