Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 Not down shifting every time..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AW4 Not down shifting every time..

OK folks, I took the Xj out yesterday for a ride with the wife. It's been about a month since I have had it out and everything was going well until I stopped at a stop sign, went to take off and the it didn't downshift into 1st gear. It was like it was in 3rd or 4th but, I could manually downshift and it was fine. Stopped to get a bite to eat, came back out and the XJ shifted fine for awhile and then it started doing the same thing. I replaced the NSS about a month ago but, I don't think that it would cause this issue unless I am wrong.

Would the shift solenoids cause this to happen? Or if one of them was going bad, would it do it all the time and not once the tranny warms up? I have no problem replacing them but, want to make sure that this is a good place to start.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

NSS is not involved, and important: if you shift manually, there appears to be no issue.

Few things to check first:-
Is your ATF (auto trans fluid) up the right level and of good quality?

Might want to do a search on a thread called something like "free quick fix"....for adjustment of the throttle linkage (kickdown) cable

Check the fuse in the TCM (transmission control module)

There is more (including TPS etc) , but this for starters..

Last edited by Roler; 01-13-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Roler
NSS is not involved, and important: if you shift manually, there appears to be no issue.

Might want to do a search on a thread called something like "free quick fix"....for adjustment of the throttle linkage (kickdown) cable

Thanks Roler..

The tranny fluid was changed/flushed about two years ago but, I will check it out this evening when I get home and make sure that it's still full and looks/smells okay. I checked the level about 2 months ago when we were going for a mountain ride and it was fine then but, that was then..

I changed the TCM last summer but, I will check the fuse..

The kickdown cable adjustment came to mind yesterday when it first happened so that will be added to the list for sure.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Let us know.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 (The best engine ever made)

Maybe try adjusting your tv cable (aka kickdown cable, but on the xj's it also controls when it shifts up also I believe, it pretty much tells the tranny how much the throttle is open or not open)
Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roler

WOW, seems like there are quite a few posts on the same issue that I am having.

ATF level is fine and still has a red tint to it and smells and feels fine.
The TCM fuse is good and I adjusted the kickdown cable as instructed from a post found here.

Yesterday the XJ shifted down fine for the biggest part of my 20 mile commute home. Just about the last stop that I had to make, it wouldn't down shift. Manually she is fine and upshifts as it should once I am out of 1-2. This morning coming to work, the XJ downshifted every time just fine and didn't miss a beat.

I am heavily leaning towards the solenoid/s and have placed an order for the kit of 3 so I plan to replace them once I receive arrive at my door.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
WOW, seems like there are quite a few posts on the same issue that I am having.

ATF level is fine and still has a red tint to it and smells and feels fine.
The TCM fuse is good and I adjusted the kickdown cable as instructed from a post found here.

Yesterday the XJ shifted down fine for the biggest part of my 20 mile commute home. Just about the last stop that I had to make, it wouldn't down shift. Manually she is fine and upshifts as it should once I am out of 1-2. This morning coming to work, the XJ downshifted every time just fine and didn't miss a beat.

I am heavily leaning towards the solenoid/s and have placed an order for the kit of 3 so I plan to replace them once I receive arrive at my door.
Yes, there are many threads...like on most problems you will have with the XJ...thats why we ususally advice to do a good search first.
Regarding the solenoids, ...well you ordered those, so might as well swap them in.....but you can also test them first.
Since shifting manually does not seem to give you any issues, the trans is mechanically most likely ok and the cause therefore more in the electric corner...good chance the solenoid swap is gonna fix the issue.

Don't forget to let us know!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

ive had this problem for about two years now. I can tell you what I have done so far. changed trans fluid and filter, I replaced all the shift solenoids, adjusted the kickdown cable, changed tps. it still does it about 50% of the time when I drive. Im gonna go out and check the tcm fuse tonight.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

You guys don't say how many miles you have on the rigs and how often the tranny fluid has been replaced. Depending on the mileage and service history, your AW4 may be getting ready for taking a crap. Nothing lasts forever...
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kalali
You guys don't say how many miles you have on the rigs and how often the tranny fluid has been replaced. Depending on the mileage and service history, your AW4 may be getting ready for taking a crap. Nothing lasts forever...
Mine has 160k on it. Trans fluid and filter was changed about 2you years ago. It's not a DD
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM

Drove it 20 miles to work and home today and the trans never missed a downshift!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kalali
Well, my 'miles' are in my sig.

The AW4 is a very stirdy trans, that can have quite some abuse before it will decide to die.
The recommended ATF interval change is in the ballpark of 30K IIRC.
Keeping your ATF uptodate (with the correct ATF)and at the right level, is about the best you can do to take care of your AW4 and actually can solve a lot of transmission issues like weird shifting and sticking etc. So therefore, the fluid change and level check should be the first thing to do when you encounter shifting issues with the AW4.

The simple drain and refill till ATF stays red is a good way to change out your ATF. The filter itself is more a screen to keep out the big chunks. You can replace it (like at the last refill) or leave it.

What I did not too long ago is a so-called forward flush of the trans. This way you will replace all ATF, including that in the torque converter. Little preparation, but the actual fluid change took less than 5 minutes...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'm at 200xxx I changed it two Years back it shifts fine except for this one problem
Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Worst thing to do to any vechicles let them sit. Start them up once a week take it for a 5 minute drive it keep things functioning properly.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 88

I had a similar prob with the girl jeep leaving work got on freeway everything working fine no problems well take the off ramp from 40 to 25 and all hell happens, downshifted to 2 at 65 miles and wouldn't up shift or anything. Pull off and give her my truck to drive home. At first though maybe tcm bad fuse normal things well had another tcm at home swap out same problem, would have to manually shift to get to move, adjusted tps, refreshed grounds, still nothin. Let it sit for the night, morning came shifting normal like nothin wrong as my neighbor would say a ford fix, I haven't seen it come back so far.
I start at, adjust the on the trans side if renix, refresh and upgrade ground so to speck, and check the fuse and wires to the tcm.

Quick Reply: AW4 Not down shifting every time..