Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW-4 Auto trans stutters in first. Pulses. Slips. Shudders HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5
Default AW-4 Auto trans stutters in first. Pulses. Slips. Shudders HELP!

It's like a miss! Steadily, a subdued, "thump thump thump" only accelerating in first, hot or cold with beautiful pink fluid on the mark. Sometimes just three or four "misses" sometimes a few more. I happen to have my exhaust close enough somewhere to when it does it the pipe hits so I can both hear and feel it.

NEVER IN REVERSE, after more than a dozen checks, it accelerates in reverse fine. Just visually watching while a friend power-braked forward and rear, I didn't see any sign the engine/bell-housing bolts are loose. All three of the "ground triangle" are 1 ohm or less. (Jeep, engine, Bat. Neg). Sensor ground...I got a suspicious "zero" ohms at the TPS ground. (just connecting my leads gives around a .8)

Only in first except! Maybe I've felt a ghost of shudder in second. Goes great, kicks down and launches like we all expect. A subtle a vibration at 55 mph or so like I had knobby tires. (no, just trust me, not wheel balance, I'd know) That is new. Likewise although I should check, the frequency does not match a U-Joint, it can do it stopped, just power-breaking only in first, not in reverse.

Stuck on the idea of a miss which is what it feels like, new bad-*** lifetime warranty cap and rotor, new wires, and a swapped set of pugs from my other 90, still no change. I have not cleaned the ICU/coil contacts. I do have another 90 here I could just swap with. Only in first, not reverse.

I'm not really expecting an answer, maybe Just "commiserating" . Thinking of making sure the bell-housing bolts are indeed secure, and looking again at the TPS.

Could a solenoid make it shutter? Do AW-4's do this when they fail?

Adding..I pulled the fuel filter and back-flushed it with no change. I get a "brisk" squirt depressing the Schrader valve. Without checking the pressure I can say it goes fine climbing hills. (I checked the filter thinking it might be a momentary drop in pressure accelerating in first) mmmmmmmmmm FPR?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-13-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Make sure the big bolts that hold the trans mount to the adapter are there and not loose.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Will do, thanks. I had a thought. This white 90, the PO's mechanic seems to have done everything wrong. Although the fluid is up and pink, no telling what he put in there. Thinking I will do a through fluid change to be sure it has Dex III in it. Really feels like a miss, but maybe first is chattering with Dex IIII, or lord knows what in there.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

The free loaner fuel pump/pressure tester kit from O'Rileis has a volt meter in there. (pressure is fine) I have at least three and thought I'd just check that against mine for fun, (fun for me anyway). So I hook it to my CPS output and get a zero, "goose-egg" (do note I'm cranking very slow). So then I pull out my $5 Centic, and see only a .1 ACV. Follow me here. So my plan is to jump it to something with a better battery, use a third meter and verify low AC from the CPS. It's raining so instead I took the spare Standard PC307 CPS I carry and did Cruisers advance mod, prepping for a swap. I understand and love that idea for getting the max advance possible. (our Renix have a knock sensor that will tell the puter to back off the advance when knocking)

It cracked. see photo. It might be fine...going to install it after a couple drops of supper glue. Maybe they all do this. The plastic goes through holes in the metal, it's nearly inescapable that the torquing of them shearing is going to stress the rest of the mount.
Attached Thumbnails AW-4 Auto trans stutters in first. Pulses. Slips. Shudders HELP!-101_6474.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-04-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

I do respect and support Pete 110%. Maybe Standard uses harder plastic than others?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-13-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

SOLVED!! The PO's stupid shop didn't put the wire clips on the (EV-1), connectors on the last two injectors. (have the receipt, 1/13, nearly $5 bills for new stock Simmons one holers)

Even with good mounts the engine moves under torque. The #6 there, 1/2 off would connect in reverse, idling, and under lower torque in higher gears. The torque the other way in first was pulling the injector prongs farther out of the connector. Fun one! After weeks and some (needed anyway parts), Just a loose connector.

So there is something to check if it feels like you are going over washboard accelerating, only forward in first.

Oh and...with a jump cranking normal speed my CPS put out .45 ACV.(fine). So I'm just saving that spare.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-13-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Great job!!

the old wiggle test.