Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

aux fan and a/c compressor not working.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default aux fan and a/c compressor not working.

so i've done some searching and every time the results pop up it just talks about how to wire your fan to a switch. so what im having for a problem is my elecrtic fan on my 97 cherokee with a 4.0 w/127K doesnt ever come on. i turned the a/c on to see if it would come on and it doesnt. i also found out that my a/c pump doesnt even come on. the pulley just free spins like usual. i beleive that the reason im having cooling issues is because my aux fan isnt working. does that sound about right? only time i have cooling issues is going up long hills on main roads and at highway speeds. at highway speeds its not such an issue. temp goes up just past the 210* mark. but i'm also never at highway speeds for more than 20-30 minutes so i dont know if it would get hotter on longer drives. what do you guys think.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If your A/C is low on freon then the compressor won't come on. If you want to check it jump across the coolant switch. It should be located on a canister about the size of a soup can by the #1 and 2 sparkplug. Follow the hose from the compressor if you can't find it. The connector pulls off of the switch, pull it off and put a jumper wire across the connectors on the plug. Start the jeep, turn a/c on and in a sec or 2 the clutch should come on as well as the fan, IF there is not another problem. You can start the jeep and turn the a/c on and then jump the wire under the hood if you want to do it in that order. On mine the fan comes on first and then the clutch.