Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Attempting to start the xj for the first time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Attempting to start the xj for the first time.

So i brought my XJ to my uncles shop today to get it started, Got it there then all we had to do was slip on the new timing chain with new gears and that was it. So we slipped on the new chain and set, went to go start it, i was so excited knowing it was going to start, once i turned that key, it turned over put wouldent start, i then got kind worried, then my uncle was like the engine isent in time, becuase we had moved it. any ways we put the engine in time and still nothing happen, after that we did a couple more things, checked alot of things out and nothing it wouldent start, all it did was want to start but did not. we finished for the night about to go home, and my uncle calls his bud thats a mechanic and works for FORD, and we told him what was happening, First thing he said was ''dont do anything else and change the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). i then relized i had completely forgot about the cps. i knew after that, that i was going to start. I felt like a retard. lol so know am going to buy the new CPS and get it running. Something i have been planning on doing for a month now. haha So lator this week i will get it running. Wish me luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well at least though this brain fart you were able to change out so old parts and check some other parts on the engine. Hopefully the new CPS works
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
Well at least though this brain fart you were able to change out so old parts and check some other parts on the engine. Hopefully the new CPS works
haha yeahh, but i mean it has to be the CPS, i cant be anything else becuase half of everything else on the engine is new. lol So now am not to worried anymore.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

How did you verify that the distributor was indexed properly? Critical after major work like you have performed.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tjwalker
How did you verify that the distributor was indexed properly? Critical after major work like you have performed.
Yeah we have checked that to, that was another thing that was not set probertly. but once you try to crank it, it turns over and tries to fire but its like something wont let it from starting, So thats the CPS. that tells the computer where the crank is at. Once we replace that it should start up perfect.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything yet about the fact that a mechanic from F**D diagnosed the problem... if that is the problem lol