Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Anyone use Alumaseal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Anyone use Alumaseal?

Has anyone here had any success using Alumaseal to fix leaks in the cooling system?

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/alumaseal/default.aspx

My 2000 Cherokee Sport has had a minor leak in the heater core since I've bought it. It doesn't get the carpet wet but I can smell it in the vehicle. It wouldn't be any fun to have to change out the heater core by the research I've done nor would the $700 bill to have a shop do it for me.

I've tried Bars Leak in the past and didn't like it. It seemed to "chunky". I don't have any experience with the Alumaseal. It looks like a much finer "powder" than the Bars Leak and hoped it wouldn't plug up the heater core or radiator.

The system was flushed about 7 months ago, just after I bought it and I put in a new radiator, thermostat, water pump and hoses.

Anyone?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

On numerous vehicles....good stuff (the powder in the tube).
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

I'm also interested. I have a stupid little radiator leak I can't find.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blue_on_blackXJ
I'm also interested. I have a stupid little radiator leak I can't find.
You try it first and let me know if it works. Sound good?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

If you pay for anything that gets clogged in my system you got yourself a deal!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blue_on_blackXJ
If you pay for anything that gets clogged in my system you got yourself a deal!
How about I replace your leaky radiator with a nice three core one and you replace my heater core? This way neither of us have to try it and we both will have leak free Jeeps.

Anyone else have any experience with Alumaseal?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yea, same deal, worked great. I've been a slob and have not changed my (nice green) coolant in years. I put the similar aluminum powder I got from Napa in there years ago and can still see little sparkleys in the coolant. There's bad washboard and potholes on my road. I'm pretty sure its "on the job", in there, re-plugging as that core takes a beating.

Long ago I had a Rambler (inline 6) as my DD. With a bad head gasket in desperation I over time put a bunch of that stuff in there. 9? When I finally pulled the head, back around the back of #6 there was about 1 1/2 inches of the stuff! It settled with low flow. That resulted in the first "corkscrew" shaped ring ridge I'd seen. Wish I'd have seen that before I had the head completely gone through. (still have it).

I would bet it stays in suspension better in coolant than it does water.

I wouldn't trust heavy stuff like Bars-Leak not to plug up something I'd miss.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Year: 89
Engine: straight 6

another vote for 'good product'.

but i have to say i took my leaky truck to the radiator shop. they didnt really want to sell me a new radiator or try to fix my 1956 radiator i guess. they had some crap they mixed up and threw in there about two years ago now and still no leaks. it was a liquid something and no sparklies. they didn't charge me anything, if they would have it would have been cheap, so might be worth a call or a trip.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

So far you guys seem to approve of this stuff.

Anymore comments? Positive or negative?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM

Engine: 4.0L

I just used it the other day for a small leak, put it in while at the parts store then drove it home with the heater on high. Leak was gone by the time i got home, no little puddle in the driveway. Worked much better than the bars leak i used on a different vehicle in the past.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

I have mixed feelings on it. For a very small leak that can't be easily traced down, (always try that first) a "small amount" of it might work on CERTAIN types of leaks.

But with any cooling system additive, there is some potential for clogging up the system, and the heater core is the one that usually takes the hit here.

If you try it, try a small amount, less than what the recommended amount is.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 AM
CF Veteran

Just an update: I tried the Bars Leak http://www.barsproducts.com/1186.htm in the Cherokee and I believe it is working. I only used half the bottle and it's been over a week now and all seems fine.

I used the other half of the bottle in the wife's Trailblazer to fix a small radiator leak and that one seems to have sealed up too.

Now lets see for how long.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 AM

Year: 2001

Sorry guys, can't agree with putting stop leak in my rig, used it before and never liked it. Sure it stopped the leak, but led to other problems. If i were you, find the leak and fix it right. If it's a small leak and you cant really see where its coming from, use a black light, Antifreeze glows nice under UV.

after rereading my post, felt i must clarify what i said, the problems i ran into after using stop leak:
Attempting to pass on the interstate flooring it, blew the stop leak out of my rad and had to pull over due to no coolant.
Clogged up heater core, and no heat when i really needed it. Also using that head gasket repair stuff = never again for me, having to replace main, rod and cam bearings because i was lazy and didn't want to pull the head is a fail in my opinion. But your mileage may vary, the guy i trained under at wallace international for diesel mechanics swore by bars leak. I just from personal experience wont do it. Heater core isn't as bad to change as an entire motor, nor is a radiator, head gasket, water pump, hoses, etc.

Last edited by tavish_g; 11-19-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Should be fine in a clean, well maintained cooling system. In a dirty, neglected, almost clogged cooling system......not.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Agreed on using a smaller amount. The canister Folwpro found, http://www.barsproducts.com/1186.htm ,(16oz.), looks like a lifetime supply! I've used 1/2 of one of those little cylinders the diameter of a quarter X 3 in. long, (in a Volvo) for a small heater core leak. Was just fogging.