Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Anyone know about lock cylinders? '99 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Anyone know about lock cylinders? '99 XJ

So on my '99 XJ I have an issue, all three (2doors+rear hatch) cylinders don't open with the key I have. I'm trying to figure out the best way of fixing this issue. Can the cylinders be re-keyed? Is it possible all three cylinders have broken?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Default keys

these cylinders are easy to code-for a lock smith that is-the easiest thing to do is pull them all-visit the loal locksmith and have them recoded-have a new key cut while youre at it-beats carrying two keys around
good luck
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM

Year: 1997

Will the key start the truck? If so, it's either had a new column put in or most likely, the locks are just frozen from years of crap.

The locks on my 97 Cherokee and F150 all started not working about the same time. I hit them with some cleaner and a thin lubricating oil and they work perfectly now.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Key starts it just fine, although if in a certain position it'll start but the electrical wont come on. I was wondering if maybe the key is just worn down alot? Anyways I sprayed some PB blaster into the cylinders. I got the truck 6 months ago and the guy said there was an issue with the locks. Considering it's Michigan and it has the lock/unlock remote the keys might've been rarely used and the cylinders really are just seized.

Are the cylinders fairly easy to remove?

I'll look around for some locksmithing places and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dan91
Key starts it just fine, although if in a certain position it'll start but the electrical wont come on. I was wondering if maybe the key is just worn down alot? Anyways I sprayed some PB blaster into the cylinders. I got the truck 6 months ago and the guy said there was an issue with the locks. Considering it's Michigan and it has the lock/unlock remote the keys might've been rarely used and the cylinders really are just seized.

Are the cylinders fairly easy to remove?

I'll look around for some locksmithing places and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help guys.
Cylinders are very easy to remove from the door. There's a clip that holds the cylinder to the door, then a tiny clip that holds the lock rod in place. Wear work gloves when you remove that first clip. I was working on one the other day and my pliers slipped and I sliced my hand on the inside of the door
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

It's certainly possible that the key you have is the wrong one for the lock cylinders, but it could also be that the cylinders are seized from lack of use. I bought a '96 GC for my wife a couple years ago that had the same issue. I used PB Blaster and fiddled with the key for a couple days before I got all of them to work.

I suspect that the previous owner never used the key and always used the remote to unlock the doors. If you do manage to get them free or if you wind up changing them, keep them lubed with Lock Ease. I've never found a better product for keeping locks working well.