Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Anti-Corrosion Fiber Washers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Question Anti-Corrosion Fiber Washers?

The title pretty well says it all. Are the red and green Anti-Corrosion Fiber Washers worth anything?

Just put a new $100 battery in my Tundra and had a pair with the new terminals, so I put them on under the terminals. Too early to tell if they'll do any good.

My XJ has major corrosion at the battery terminals and hold down brackets so looking for feedback on the red and green Anti-Corrosion Fiber Washers.

Thanks

FWIW, I hate top terminal batteries.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

They can help some. Best thing to do is either buy a can of battery terminal spray and coat them good. Or, cover the terminals and lugs in vasoline.

Make sure they are fully cleaned first!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Year: 2000

They've always worked when I used them.
If your XJ is having constant corrosion issues, there is something else going on. Check/clean all your grounds and make sure that there is no leakage on your battery cell covers.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I will not agree with coating the battery posts with Vasoline. You're better off assembling the connector to the post dry rather than coating the post with an insulator such as Vasoline.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by CCKen
I will not agree with coating the battery posts with Vasoline. You're better off assembling the connector to the post dry rather than coating the post with an insulator such as Vasoline.

That is what I meant! Never coat posts first. You want a good connections. Once it is on, then coat it.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by ThatAintStock00
If your XJ is having constant corrosion issues, there is something else going on. Check/clean all your grounds and make sure that there is no leakage on your battery cell covers.
Curious why your statement? The engine runs and starts fine. To me that would argue against a ground problem. As to the cell covers, they're not broken.

I plan to remove the battery this fall, clean and paint the steel and any other maintenance as needed. So trying to get a read on those washers.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I use some stuff called "Ox-Gard." I got it at Lowe's and it is great stuff. I put it on the posts first, on the clamps and work it into the ends of the wires as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

They've always worked when I used them.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 AM

In addition to the red/green washers, after cleaning the post, cables, etc,

I coat the area with shellac varnish. I have been doing this process for

many years on all my cars....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Year: 2000

[QUOTE=MtnHermit;2515891]Curious why your statement? The engine runs and starts fine. To me that would argue against a ground problem. As to the cell covers, they're not broken.[\QUOTE]

It runs and starts fine; that's great. It means you have enough flow and juice to maintain the engines requirements. And my headlights work fine, but when I put them on relays, they work amazing.

The sulfuric acid used in batteries produces hydrogen gas. That is because when your vehicle and battery are operating, very small amounts of gas are released through the vent cap/cracks/spaces in the top of the cells. When released, these fumes naturally combine with the heat, dirt and humidity in the air to form corrosion on your battery cables and terminals. When your battery is flowing current, the charges create small fields at the terminals and attract the charged particles in the air, that combine and settle on the terminals as corrosion. We did anexperiment back in college about clean flowing (well grounded/short run cables) and taxed (bad grounds/longer cable runs) on 12v systems. We had significantly more corrosion on the taxed battery. Our conclusion was the extra heat/work the battery was exuding produced more gas and created more corrosion. Never got to prove that as teh semester ended, but the data was a good correlation towards that.